cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS Rebel G battery issues

ncruz
Apprentice
So a while back my camera was dropped and a small part of the battery door broke so it won't close properly. I taped the door down with wire tape and the camera worked fine. A week ago I took the camera to the snow and it was working fine and I took multiple shots. Right when I had two shots left the camera seemed to have run out of battery. So I bought new batteries but it still doesn't work.
On off mode it shows I have 2 shots left with the little film icon in the corner. When I switch to on mode it sounds like the film is rewinding and then the battery icon appears empty, blinks for a while, and then just stays and stops blinking....
I don't know how to fix this, I don't want to open the back door because it's telling me I still have those two exposures left.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ncruz
Apprentice
Update:
I decided I open the back of the camera in the dark room and process it myself because I didn't want to lose and photos. When I opened the back the film was already rewinded in its canister despite the camera saying I had two exposures left. Once the film was out the camera started to work again. I'm guessing the camera somehow had a malfunction reading the film? I'm just glad it works now (:

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Ncruz,

Thank you for posting.

For this, I recommend contacting our Technical Support Team. For contact options, please click here.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

As this is an older 35mm film camera, I'm not sure if Canon service would even have the parts to perform repairs.

Your best option may be to use this as your excuse to move to digital.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Rewind the film and cut your loses.  Save what you have as two extra shots are not worth it.  Most likely your G is done.

Once the film is out, however, you can fool around with it  and see if something cheap can be done.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ncruz
Apprentice
Update:
I decided I open the back of the camera in the dark room and process it myself because I didn't want to lose and photos. When I opened the back the film was already rewinded in its canister despite the camera saying I had two exposures left. Once the film was out the camera started to work again. I'm guessing the camera somehow had a malfunction reading the film? I'm just glad it works now (:

@ncruz wrote:
Update:

Unless it happens again, I'd blame the film rather than the camera. What you describe could happen if, for whatever reason, the film lost contact with the sprocket gear.

Back in the film days, I was on a vacation trip and was pleased to discover that I got several extra shots on what was supposed to be a 36-exposure roll. But when the count got well over 40, I started to get suspicious and eventually opened the camera to have a look. It turned out that the film had never gotten fully connected to the take-up reel, and I had actually taken no pictures.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

It has to do with how you place the film leader on the sprocket.  The counter doesn't really know if you started at number 1.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements