cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS 650D Noise

Lostculture
Apprentice

Hi Guys, 

Im fairly new to photography and need some advise. All my pictures taken from my canon 650D (with any of my lenses 50mm, 55mm, 300mm) I keep on getting grainy (noise) pictures. I only take pictures on RAW mode, and set my ISO to max 400 when i use shooting modes like P, A+. And when I use M mode I set the ISO to 100.  No matter what pic I take in what mode...all my pics are grainy.

Here are the info on this specific picture:

EF50mm f/1.8 ii

5184 x 3456

RAW 

ISO 100 50 mm f /1.8 1/50 sec

_MG_6730.jpg

And on this picture the noise is hectic on A+ (green box) mode and the ISO sets itself so high, regardless me setting it to max 400 should it use Auto mode

ISO6400 300mm f/5.6 1/125 sec RAW

IMG_6538.jpg

10 REPLIES 10

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...and set my ISO to max 400 when ..."

The A+ mode is for someone that doesn't know anything about cameras. It basically turns the Rebel into a P&S.  You are telling the camera do everything and I'll pull the trigger.  Your photos look normal to me. The bottom shows what ISO 6400 looks like. It will always be more prominent in the darker or shadow area.  Even in ISO 400, noise will be present, to a much lesser degree of course, in the shadows and dark areas.

A lot of that can be corrected in post edit.  Almost all post editors have a NR slider.  I like LR and PS. "I only take pictures on RAW mode...", this is good.  It allows to to do the max amount of editing.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Adding to what Ernie said, scene and automatic modes set the maximium Auto-ISO on 6400 by default that cannot be changed. Only the M, Av, Tv, & P modes allow you to use your own maximum Auto-ISO setting.

Andrew

Andrew
Nature Photography Hobbyist / Enthusiast
Canon EOS Rebel T6i

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

BTW, if the camera isn’t moving (e.g. on a tripod) and the subject isn’t moving (e.g. the observatory), then you can use ISO 100 and let the shutter speed go as long as it needs to get that shot ... and you’ll have no noise (well... technically every image has noise... you’ll have no discernible noise to human eyes.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanx allot for all your replies, is there then a better setting for night shots other then the built in Mode..... must i just play around with apperture, iso and my shutterspeed?

@Lostculture wrote:

Thanx allot for all your replies, is there then a better setting for night shots other then the built in Mode..... must i just play around with apperture, iso and my shutterspeed?

What are you photographing at night?  I use a tripod for taking landscape shots at night.

DE807925-9C59-4EE2-BFDE-354991AC18D1.jpeg

The above was a 25 second exposure at ISO-100. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanx so much...So the trick is a tripod.....im into stars and the moon so im just struggeling at getting it right. BUT learned much the last few days with rateher staying in M mode and setting everything myself. 

@Lostculture wrote:

Thanx so much...So the trick is a tripod.....im into stars and the moon so im just struggeling at getting it right. BUT learned much the last few days with rateher staying in M mode and setting everything myself. 

The shot of the bridge was taken in Av mode.  The camera calculated the shutter speed.

BTW, quality tripods are not made of plastic, have detachable interchangeable heads, and on average cost $200, and up.

Thanx will go and look at some available! 

@Lostculture wrote:

Thanx will go and look at some available! 

I recommend Benro.  They make high quality tripods and heads.  But, the best part about Benro is that they also include a high  quality case, not a bag, with nearly all of their tripods.  If buy a ball head, make sure it has a friction adjustment.

Announcements