cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS 100d cant read memory card

ppartridge
Apprentice

I purchased a new camera today , my first DSLR,  canon eos 100d camera. I was recommended a sandisc scxc ush-i 64 GB memory card with adapter. My camera can't format the new memory card. Have i tried to install it incorrectly? 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Do you mean a micro SD card? These should not be used. Use a full sized SD card.

View solution in original post

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Somewhere in first pages of your instruction manual, there is a listing of compatible memory cards.  You should see SD, SDHC, and SDXC cards listed.  You not see microSD cards listed.  The microSD card adapters are notoriously unreliable. The microSD cards should only be used in devices that use them directly.

I recommend that you use a 32GB name brand SDHC card, like Lexar or Sandisk.  Avoid the SDXC cards altogether.  Be sure to perform a low level format on the card before you use it, too.  New cards may some some formatting on them, which is residue from production testing, which needs to be completely erased.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Do you mean a micro SD card? These should not be used. Use a full sized SD card.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Somewhere in first pages of your instruction manual, there is a listing of compatible memory cards.  You should see SD, SDHC, and SDXC cards listed.  You not see microSD cards listed.  The microSD card adapters are notoriously unreliable. The microSD cards should only be used in devices that use them directly.

I recommend that you use a 32GB name brand SDHC card, like Lexar or Sandisk.  Avoid the SDXC cards altogether.  Be sure to perform a low level format on the card before you use it, too.  New cards may some some formatting on them, which is residue from production testing, which needs to be completely erased.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ppartridge
Apprentice
Thanks both. Yes It is a micro SD card. It flagged up as a compatible card when I requested the camera. I have a feeling the store assistant picked up the micro Sandisc memory card by mistake. Thanks for the formatting asvice w
Announcements