Canon Community Canon Community
 


Reply
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Posts: 12
Registered: ‎02-02-2017
Accepted Solution

Canon EOS 100D Not turning on with an sd in

The camera turns on without an sd in and when i use the sd the screen stays blank with no sounds from the shutter moving 

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 3,524
Registered: ‎02-17-2016

Re: Canon EOS 100D Not turning on with an sd in

Are you using a full size SD card?

 

 

Occasional Contributor
Posts: 12
Registered: ‎02-02-2017

Re: Canon EOS 100D Not turning on with an sd in

Yes

 

VIP
Posts: 8,665
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: Canon EOS 100D Not turning on with an sd in

What size card?  If it is SDXC, 64 GB or higher, then "might" explain your problem.  Despite what specs say, I have had trouble with T5, EOS 1200D, recognizing new SDXC cards until I format them in my computer, then reformat them in the camera.

 

Also, you could have a defective card.  Buy a new card, 32GB or less.  Stick to name brands like Sandisk or Lexar.  Beware of bargain deals on the internet.  Buy a card from a local retailer.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Occasional Contributor
Posts: 12
Registered: ‎02-02-2017

Re: Canon EOS 100D Not turning on with an sd in

4 gigs (for testing) SDHC CLASS 4
Occasional Contributor
Posts: 12
Registered: ‎02-02-2017

Re: Canon EOS 100D Not turning on with an sd in


@Waddizzle wrote:

What size card?  If it is SDXC, 64 GB or higher, then "might" explain your problem.  Despite what specs say, I have had trouble with T5, EOS 1200D, recognizing new SDXC cards until I format them in my computer, then reformat them in the camera.

 

Also, you could have a defective card.  Buy a new card, 32GB or less.  Stick to name brands like Sandisk or Lexar.  Beware of bargain deals on the internet.  Buy a card from a local retailer.


Maybe a factory reset will do something?

Honored Contributor
Posts: 6,006
Registered: ‎11-13-2012

Re: Canon EOS 100D Not turning on with an sd in

[ Edited ]

TEMPORARILY set the camera to allow shooting without a card installed. Remove the card. Set camera to Program (P) mode. Does the shutter fire?

 

Capture.JPG

 

Let us know what happens. Switch the setting back to "Disable". You don't want to take a bunch of photos without any "film" in the camera.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X, Rebel T5i, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472, LRCC Classic
Occasional Contributor
Posts: 12
Registered: ‎02-02-2017

Re: Canon EOS 100D Not turning on with an sd in

[ Edited ]

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

TEMPORARILY set the camera to allow shooting without a card installed. Remove the card. Set camera to Program (P) mode. Does the shutter fire?

 

Capture.JPG

 

Let us know what happens. Switch the setting back to "Disable". You don't want to take a bunch of photos without any "film" in the camera.



It fires,it works normally as it should

Honored Contributor
Posts: 6,006
Registered: ‎11-13-2012

Re: Canon EOS 100D Not turning on with an sd in

It must be a problem with your card. Try formatting in computer and then format in camera. Be sure the lock isn't on.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X, Rebel T5i, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472, LRCC Classic
Occasional Contributor
Posts: 12
Registered: ‎02-02-2017

Re: Canon EOS 100D Not turning on with an sd in

[ Edited ]

@jrhoffman75 wrote:
It must be a problem with your card. Try formatting in computer and then format in camera. Be sure the lock isn't on.


I tried,even with a 16 gig card,tried fat 32 and fat,still nothing

powered by Lithium

LIKE US on Facebook FOLLOW US on Twitter WATCH US on YouTube CONNECT WITH US on Linkedin WATCH US on Vimeo FOLLOW US on Instagram SHOP CANON at the Canon Online Store
© Canon U.S.A., Inc.   |    Terms of Use   |    Privacy Statement