Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Canon EOS 100D Not turning on with an sd in

The camera turns on without an sd in and when i use the sd the screen stays blank with no sounds from the shutter moving 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Canon EOS 100D Not turning on with an sd in

Are you using a full size SD card?

Occasional Contributor

Yes

VIP

What size card?  If it is SDXC, 64 GB or higher, then "might" explain your problem.  Despite what specs say, I have had trouble with T5, EOS 1200D, recognizing new SDXC cards until I format them in my computer, then reformat them in the camera.

Also, you could have a defective card.  Buy a new card, 32GB or less.  Stick to name brands like Sandisk or Lexar.  Beware of bargain deals on the internet.  Buy a card from a local retailer.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Occasional Contributor

4 gigs (for testing) SDHC CLASS 4
Occasional Contributor

@Waddizzle wrote:

What size card?  If it is SDXC, 64 GB or higher, then "might" explain your problem.  Despite what specs say, I have had trouble with T5, EOS 1200D, recognizing new SDXC cards until I format them in my computer, then reformat them in the camera.

Also, you could have a defective card.  Buy a new card, 32GB or less.  Stick to name brands like Sandisk or Lexar.  Beware of bargain deals on the internet.  Buy a card from a local retailer.

Maybe a factory reset will do something?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

TEMPORARILY set the camera to allow shooting without a card installed. Remove the card. Set camera to Program (P) mode. Does the shutter fire?

Capture.JPG

Let us know what happens. Switch the setting back to "Disable". You don't want to take a bunch of photos without any "film" in the camera.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X, Rebel T5i, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472, LRCC Classic
Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

TEMPORARILY set the camera to allow shooting without a card installed. Remove the card. Set camera to Program (P) mode. Does the shutter fire?

Capture.JPG

Let us know what happens. Switch the setting back to "Disable". You don't want to take a bunch of photos without any "film" in the camera.

It fires,it works normally as it should

Honored Contributor

It must be a problem with your card. Try formatting in computer and then format in camera. Be sure the lock isn't on.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X, Rebel T5i, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472, LRCC Classic
Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jrhoffman75 wrote:
It must be a problem with your card. Try formatting in computer and then format in camera. Be sure the lock isn't on.

I tried,even with a 16 gig card,tried fat 32 and fat,still nothing