cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Dslr 650D shuts down ( or freeze right after clicking to shoot )

jaemergui
Apprentice

Hello everyone, thanks in advance for every much-welcomed assistance.

I have a DSLR 650D which I pretty old but faithful,

recently it started freezing or shutting down right after I click to shoot and a little red triangle LED appears on the bottom right corner of the body.

I have switched battaries\ chragers\ but nothing seems to work

I have updated to the most recent firmware 1.0.5 and the problem continues.

I have rested the settings and formatted the SD card, and disable the autofocus, and changed the lens but yet still nothing worked. 

it happens as well when I move from the LED screen live view to the viewfinder and vice versa. 

Thank you very much again for any help that I much needed about this one 

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Sounds like a bad battery or memory card.  If not, it's a bad camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I have updated to the most recent firmware 1.0.5 and the problem continues."

This was a waste of time and ill advisable.  Why people think they should reinstall the FW on an ailing camera is beyond me.

The two most likely areas for this issue is the battery. "I have switched battaries\ chragers\ but nothing seems to work Yes I did see that but you did not say you bought a brand new Canon brand (only) battery?

"I have rested the settings and formatted the SD card,..."  Are you sure you got a full reset?  Did you have to input the date/time again?  If you didn't it did not reset. Did you buy a brand new high quality SD card? Format it in the T4i.

Try a different lens. Also, remove any battery grip. Use just the T4i's battery. Remove any and all add-ons you may have especially non-Canon stuff.

If these simple do to things don't remedy, I fear all is lost and you need to look for a new camera. You could have a damaged SD card slot for instance and repair might be more costly than the T4i is worth.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"Why people think they should reinstall the FW on an ailing camera is beyond me."

While on this topic so others may see it, if you have a faulty, or failing, camera the attempt of reinstalling the FW can go bad. Only made more problematic if the camera is not working correctly in the first place.  If it does, it can brick your camera beyond repair that only Canon can fix. If it is a model that Canon no longer supports, you are done.

FW is not a fix all.  You need to read the FW description to see if it has something that you need. It could just add a new language or some other feature most of us will not use.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements