cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon D2000 (new) Says "Busy' when on A+ AF mode

DaddyWarbucks
Contributor

Thank you in advance for your feedback;

When Using my Canon 2000D camera on AF lens and A+ mode, I get "BUSY" in the eye view finder, the camera uses the flash, but doesn't take a picture. This doesn't occur when I use the SF lens mode. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Canon 2000D + SanDisk Extreme Pro SKXC UHS-I Card 64GB memory card, new and deleted all previous photos I had taken. So memory card is empty and ready to save new pictures; so I can safely conclude the issue is not with formatting the SD Card nor the with the card itself. 

I believe the issue is somehow related to the lighting or settings, but I thought using the A+ mode takes care of that. So why can't I take pictures on an overcast (cloudy) morning such as today?

I had taken the camera many times duirng the previous two weeks of owning it and was able to take great pictures of the Bosphorus and around Istanbul. No issues. Yesterday I wanted to take a picture of some seagulls and thier new baby chicks across my building, about 200 meters away, on the rooftop of another building. I usually can take a photo on A+ with AF mode. Yesterday and today the camera simply won't snap photos, and displays "BUSY" in the camera eye piece.

When I have the camera on AF A+ mode, and i click the button to take the picture, without using the digital display, and I peer inside the viewer eye piece, I see some numbers posted on the bottom and then "BUSY" but the flash comes on. No pitcutres are taken. 

Is this an issue with lighting? It works fine with MF setting (on the lens) and it works. When I take a picture of the inerior of the apartment (my flat), with the windows behind me and light coming in, it takes photos then on A+ / AF. Just not in normal light. I tried to take a picture just now in overcast weather, same issue. It says 80 56, 800 9 in the eye viewer and says busy just once. 

I am using my hand no tripod.

It is 7 am and no sun, overcast but still light outside 

Took MF mode (on lens) without issue. 

SANSISK EXTREME PRO SDXC UHS-I Card 64 GB card, new, used successfully before and deleted all previous/prior photos

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've been busy with work and I'm still trying to find sufficient time to sit down and read the entire manual thoroughly. 

Lens i'm suing is 18-55MM lens which came with the camera ( 9EF-S 18-55 II ).

I really think I'm doing something wrong and this is probably a user issue, not a camera issue. 

Thank you and i hope i have included very clear details.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you for your reply. I did all the things you mentioned and it had not worked until a few minutes ago when i removed both the battery and the memory card for 15 seconds or so; I reinserted them and it now works like a charm.

My only concern is why did this happen in the first place and how can I prevent it from occuring in the future? I like this little bugger, I really do. But i need to better understand how to use it. This seems like a malfunction issue more so than it is a user is an idiot (me) issue. 

Thanks again!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Typically, when a Canon DSLR flashes "buSY" at you, there will another icon lit up to tell you what it is busy doing.  For example, it could be writing to the memory card.  Or, it could be recharging the built-in flash, which I suspect is your issue.

The built-in flash is fairly low power.  It has a top range of about 3 meters, which is awful compared to external flashes that can have a range of dozens of meters.  

The built-in strobe can also significantly shorten your battery life, if you used extensively.  The lower your battery charge, the longer it takes for the strobe to recharge, if at all.  I suggest that you stop relying on the strobe so heavily, and discover the natural beauty of natural lighting.

I suggest that you switch the camera to P mode, which operates just like [A+] mode, except it does not automatically activate the flash.  This mode will also open up more of the camera's menus.  Finally, visit Canon Support for your area, and download a full copy of the User Manual.  You will never get the most out of your camera without it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you for your reply. I did all the things you mentioned and it had not worked until a few minutes ago when i removed both the battery and the memory card for 15 seconds or so; I reinserted them and it now works like a charm.

My only concern is why did this happen in the first place and how can I prevent it from occuring in the future? I like this little bugger, I really do. But i need to better understand how to use it. This seems like a malfunction issue more so than it is a user is an idiot (me) issue. 

Thanks again!

If I had to take a wild guess as to the cause, it would be the SD card.  Never use the micro-SD cards with an adapter.  Always buy the top brands from reputable vendors.  Amazon and eBay are the worst places to buy memory cards.

I actually bought the SanDisk Extreme Pro card...that was the top of the line one they had at the shop...is there a better brand you might suggest? Your suggestion is greatly appreciated

I use the same cards, SD and CF in my camera.  I have had no issues, except for one.

You did not indicate whether or not you are using full size cards, or not.  I will assume you are.  I think the SDXC cards may be a little too much for that camera, despite what the specs may say.  Stick to SDHC cards, 32 GB or less.  

I had the T5, which is nearly the identical camera.  It did not like 64GB cards, it was perfectly happy with 32GB, or less.

I'm using 64 GB but I hardly ever take videos, and when I do, they were short 30 second snippets. I have averaged about 30-60 photos. I plan on buying a bigger memory card or getting a second one as well

@DaddyWarbucks wrote:
I'm using 64 GB but I hardly ever take videos, and when I do, they were short 30 second snippets. I have averaged about 30-60 photos. I plan on buying a bigger memory card or getting a second one as well

Do as you wish.  Your camera model may not work as well with SDXC memory cards, 64GB and larger.  Stick to SDHC.

If you do not shoot video very often, there is no need for SDXC memory cards.  If you do not shoot hundreds of photos is a single day, then you have no need for SDXC memory cards.

If you use your camera to store your photos, then you should stop that practice.  Download your photos to computer.  Make sure to always perform a low level format on new memory cards in the camera before you use them.  Formatting is crucial

Announcements