cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Built-in flash malfunction?

BrandonVickery
Apprentice
I’ve recently bought an SL2, and I love it. Just recently, the flash stopped working. All of a sudden, the flash doesn’t work (but it still pops up). It’s hard to describe because you can see it trying to flash as it lights up a very faint blue and you can see the electrical currents inside. Periodically, it will turn on, but only for a quick second and it never works the way it used to. Please help me figure out this problem as this is my first DSLR. Amy suggestions/replies are greatly appreciated!
4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Make sure the flash has recharged, when you are taking a number of shots back to back.  You should see an icon in the viewfinder trying to remind you of this.  At least, I think the SL2 has such an icon.  

Basically, if you see anything flashing in the viewfinder, then the camera is trying to tell that what you see is not what you’re going to get.  Find out what is causing the flashing in the viewfinder, and how to correct it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@BrandonVickery wrote:
I’ve recently bought an SL2, and I love it. Just recently, the flash stopped working. All of a sudden, the flash doesn’t work (but it still pops up). It’s hard to describe because you can see it trying to flash as it lights up a very faint blue and you can see the electrical currents inside. Periodically, it will turn on, but only for a quick second and it never works the way it used to. Please help me figure out this problem as this is my first DSLR. Amy suggestions/replies are greatly appreciated!

Put your camera in 'Green Square Auto' mode, does the flash work then? 

If it does work in 'Green Square Auto' reset the camera settings including the Custom Functions. You may have set the build in flash to work as a Master Flash Controller for an external flash. 

If not call Canon your SL2 should still be under warranty!

sukhraj
Apprentice

guys i have same problem.

Flash pops up

but not firing flash properly

Any solution ?

Make sure you have a fully charged battery. Set your camera to manual mode, turn OFF ETTL in the flash menu. If the flash will fire repeatedly with these setting then you know it is not the flash at fault and you probably have something in the camera set incorrectly under your normal shooting conditions.

Make sure you give the flash time to recharge after each shot

Announcements