cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 800D or 200D?

Ashwathama
Apprentice

I'm going to be upgrading from a Nikon D5100. I've always disliked Canon because of its user interface, but the cotinuous AF on Nikon is really bad, so I'm forced to switch to Canon.

I'm not a beginner by any means, so the guided interface is going to be switched off within minutes.

The size and weight of the 200D doesn't matter a lot to me.

There's around a $200 difference between the two in my area, so will I be getting my money's worth if I choose the 800D over the 200D? Will the 200D work for another 3-4 years? I'm going to be shooting some video, too.

Also, what's the deal with the digital image stabilization on the 800D? Will the lens IS work in video on the 200D?

Also, if any users of either of the cameras can comment on their experience with it, that'd be great.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
You are comparing the top and bottom of the line, entry level DSLRs. Besides video, how do you plan to use it?
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

The 800D is the better camera. The camera will easily last 3 years of use, though better cameras might come along. If Canon introduces an entry level R there might not be a T8.

Of course, for video, the lenses are where it is at. You need lenses that are completely silent like the STM or new nano-USM.

THe T7i has electronic movie IS which uses the lens IS along with electronic IS for better video stablization. However, it only works with certain lenses.

@kvbarkley wrote:

The 800D is the better camera. The camera will easily last 3 years of use, though better cameras might come along.    

Three years?

I should have said "4" since that is what the OP said. I was going to say I have had my T6S for 3 years with no issues.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I'm going to be upgrading from a Nikon D5100."

Nice to see you are coming to your senses!  Smiley Wink  Come into the light, go for the T7i.

It is a much better camera than the D5100 plus you will have the ability to use the largest line and best line of lenses made.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements