Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
New Contributor

Canon 750D Error 'Movie Recording Has Been Stopped Automatically'

I've had my Canon 750D for about 2 years now, mostly for filming vlogs, and all that time I've been using the same SD card. Everytime I use it I record a few clips of around 20 minutes each and then I cut and paste those from the card into my laptop to edit them.

However, today I was recording and for about 15 minutes everything seemed fine but then suddenly the camera flashed the message 'Movie Recording Has Been Stopped Automatically'. I tried to start recording again, but the same message came up. I then removed the SD card to view the footage on my laptop and see how far the recording had got, but the only file that came up was a '.DAT' file, which wouldn't play on any software I tried, meaning that I've lost all that footage.

I just tried re-inserting the SD card into the camera again and it seemed fine on the 10 second video I filmed, but now I'm concerned this problem is going to happen again with longer videos.

What went wrong and how can I prevent this in the future?

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Canon 750D Error 'Movie Recording Has Been Stopped Automatically'

I would suggest a new card, or at the very least low-level format the old one.

Generally two things cause these kinds of issues. Heat or the card. There is not much you can do about heat if it is now a problem, so all you can do is try to rectify the card and do some experiments to see if it happens again.