cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 650d or 700d?

alexandrav
Apprentice

Hello everyone! I'm new to the whole concept of photography and I'm getting ready to buy my first DSLR ever. The ones that fit my price range are Canon 650d and 700d and I was wondering what should I choose between these 2 kits: Canon 650d + 18-135mm IS STM & Canon 700d + 18-55mm IS STM. I'm pretty much interested in shooting nature, landscapes (so, holiday photography) and also recording good quality videos for my youtube channnel and that's why I've chosen these kits with STM lenses. Please help me in anyway you can.Smiley Happy

7 REPLIES 7

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Picture quality wise the two cameras are identical. I consider the 18-135 a much better lens quality wise and more useful from a zoom range standpoint.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Where are you finding a 650D for sale?

There is almost no difference between a 650D and a 700D (in the US they are named the EOS Rebel T4i and EOS Rebel T5i).  The mode dial looks slightly different.  The differences were so insignificant, that when Canon introduced the T5i (700D) they discontinued the T4i (650D).  Normally the older camera would get a slight price reduction but they would continue to sell it (they still sell the T3i - aka 600D).  

Most merchants ran out of T4i/650D bodies a long time ago.  

Are you looking at a used camera?

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

No, I'm not looking at a used camera. I have no experience whatsoever and I wouldn't be able to check if everything is working properly so I've decided to look only for new cameras. Also, where I'm from, the Canon 650D (T4i) is still sold in pretty much every store (online or not). And these 2 options have exactly the same price and this is why I've been struggling with this choice for quite some time.

@TCampbell wrote:

Where are you finding a 650D for sale?

There is almost no difference between a 650D and a 700D (in the US they are named the EOS Rebel T4i and EOS Rebel T5i).  The mode dial looks slightly different.  The differences were so insignificant, that when Canon introduced the T5i (700D) they discontinued the T4i (650D).  Normally the older camera would get a slight price reduction but they would continue to sell it (they still sell the T3i - aka 600D).  

Most merchants ran out of T4i/650D bodies a long time ago.  

Are you looking at a used camera?

My recollection, which may be wrong, is that there was something about the T4i that made it unpopular and was responsible for its early demise. Whatever the issue was, the T5i apparently corrected it.

If someone with a better memory than mine can show that my recollection is wrong, then I guess there's no compelling reason to avoid the T4i. Absent that proof, I think I'd go with the T5i.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I don't know if it caused the short life cycle, but some had issue with chemicals in the rubber covering. The fix was to replace the cover.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Yes. The rubber grips on some batches of the T4i was made with too much of one ingredient or something and it was turning white and deteriorating. It probably does not affect any manufacturing lot which is currently being sold by a reputable merchant.

The two cameras are virtually identical, with even less of a difference than usual between Rebel offerings.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Please help me in anyway you can."

OK get this;

Canon EOS Rebel T5i DSLR Camera with 18-135mm STM Lens Video Kit.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements