cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 250D keeps shutting off after about 20 minutes of videoing

TPitelen
Apprentice

Hello, I've been using my Canon eos 250D as a webcam through Zoom and Sparkocam to teach online classes every day for about 3 months and it's worked beautifully. A couple of days ago, though, it started shutting itself off about 20 minutes into the class and now I can't get it to video for longer than 20 minutes. It's not the 29 minutes 50 seconds problem because it cuts off after 20 or so minutes, and it's being used as a webcam so I'm not actually recording on the camera - there is no SD card in it. I've also tried it with a cool fan blowing over it in case it's an overheating issue, it still cuts out. 

Does anyone have any ideas what might be doing this? Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

Ray-uk
Whiz

If you haven't inadvertently changed the setting of the sleep timer then you most likely need a new battery.

Thanks for the reply Ray, I think I've disabled the sleep timer but will check in case. And I have it plugged in so its definitely not a battery issue. I'm now thinking it's an overheating issue, as it's only started happening since the weather got hot in the last few days and there is no consistency in when it cuts out... 17 mins, 22 mins, 24 mins... Sadly, I'm beginning to think I can't rely on my Canon as a webcam and will have to find something that can cope with warmer weather.

Overheating is a distinct possibilty, some DSLRs show an overheating warning before shutting down, not sure about the 250D but it should tell you in the manual.

Announcements