cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 200D (SL2) External monitor issue

deltavlokkies
Contributor

Hello!

I have a Canon 200D (SL2) and I just bought a Feelworld F5 monitor for my camera, it has a audio metering feature but it doesnt seem to be working..

Is this a camera specific issue or is there something wrong with my monitor?

I hope someone can helpe me with this 🙂

24 REPLIES 24

@deltavlokkies wrote:
When I play back a video I see the audio levels move. So that does work.

But it won’t work with the mic.

I just tested it with a Canon 250D and with that camera it works like a charm.

Why doesn’t it with my Canon 200D?

Okay, that make some sense.  Remember, there is only one set of "audio, video, and HDMI electronics", but their signals can be rerouted in clever ways.  This reduces the cost of the circuit boards in the camera, which also reduces power consumption.

During playback "audio input" the onboard mic is probably switched out, so it is now coming from the movie stream.  The "audio output" is rerouted from digital capture to the "HDMI electronics", which can feed its' audio to the onboard speaker.  

During video playback, the HDMI signal being generated now has an audio feed.  In movie mode, the audio is switched to the data acquisition circuits so it can digitized and saved on the SD card.

I cannot explain why one camera apparently has audio out, and one does not.  It would not take much to split the onboard mic signal into two paths, sending one to the HDMI electronics and the second signal to SD card.  I would think the switching would cost more money and power.  The signal split could be done with passive circuitry.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

So in simple terms, I have to buy a newer camera for this to work?

@deltavlokkies wrote:

So in simple terms, I have to buy a newer camera for this to work?

I guess so.  You really have not said what you are trying to do besides send an HDMI signal to a monitor.

Be aware that a DSLR is not a video camera.  They can capture short video clips, and that is about it.  Capturing long video clips is not what they are designed for.  Some tend to overheat and shut themselves down during extended use in video mode.  

In fact, you DSLR has a hard 30 minute limit on the maximum length of a single movie.  You may with to refer to your Instruction Manual or User Guide for the maximum recording times you can expect at different video modes and frame rates.

I bought a feelworld monitor to see my view on a bigger screen. It also has an option that is called "embeded audio" which displays a decibel meter. 

I'm sorry if I cant explain it correctly, English isn't my native language.

Based on the F5 data sheet audio out seems to be via headphones; i.e. no interanl speaker.

F5.jpg

The 200D and 250D manuals have the same info about TV playback, so if it is doing what you want on a 250D compare the camera settings on both to see if there are differences.

250D.jpg

250D

Annotation 2019-12-29 092405.jpg

200D

If that doesn't help give the Canon suppport line for your location a call.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Maybe if I explain myself a little better you'll understand exactly what I mean.

there's an audio meter in the Feelworld settings, you can enable that (Its called embeded audio)

Which shows you the audio levels of the microphone.

It doesn't work with the 200D, but it does work on the 250D, which seems weird

Look at my attachement to see what I mean 🙂 (thats just a photo from Google, for refrence) 

images.png

@deltavlokkies wrote:

I bought a feelworld monitor to see my view on a bigger screen. It also has an option that is called "embeded audio" which displays a decibel meter. 

I'm sorry if I cant explain it correctly, English isn't my native language.

I fully understood that part.  You did not describe the big pictue, such as what shooting mode the camera is in.  

I'm shooting in manual mode, but tried every single other mode as well, still no luck :(.

Seems odd that the 250D does support it but the 200 doesn't ..

@deltavlokkies wrote:

I'm shooting in manual mode, but tried every single other mode as well, still no luck :(.

Seems odd that the 250D does support it but the 200 doesn't ..

What is the big picture?  Are you trying to shoot video with an external monitor?

The monitor is on top of the camera, so the viewfinder is the bigger screen.

See the attachement for the refrence 🙂

(The monitor isn't recording anything, ist just going to the SD card in the camera)

IMG_3616.HEIC

Announcements