cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 1300D lots of noise (even with low ISO)

Robin4321
Contributor

Hi everyone,

I'm having big issues with my CANON 1300D. As the title says, I'm having a lot of noise in most of my pictures even if the ISO is at 200.

For example that picture (beside the fact that it's overexposed, it's a good example) :

IMG_0760_compressed_cropped.jpg

There it's cropped a little bit then you can see it clearly :

IMG_0760_compressed_cropped2.jpg

It's 10 times worse than my smartphone.

It does the same thing with both my lenses so it doesn't seem to come from there.

I had the same issue before with a compact camera I bought, I resetted it and for some reason it solved the problem but there it doesn't...

At the moment I'm traveling and it's a bit frustrating to take pictures with my smartphone lol so I hope you can help me there! 🙂

66 REPLIES 66

@Robin4321 wrote:

I've known Photoshop for a long time (even if I'm not so good at using it yet) but I've only known Lightroom for 2 weeks and I like it a lot because it's really easy to make nice improvement of the picture by just a few clics.

You should be seeing hardly any noise at ISO 100, though, with a 1300D, or T6.  If you are seeing noise, something is wrong.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Robin4321 wrote:

Hi everyone!

I'm back after a couple of months of not taking lots of pictures lately.
I took a few last week and I'm still a bit frustrated about the quality. I used a tripod this time and it doesn't help much like you can see on that spider picture that is blur even if I'm 100% sure it was focused on it when I took the picture:

IMG_1621_compressed.jpg

Since everyone here seems to think the pictures are fine for the camera I've got, I'm seriously thinking of getting a new gear.

If I want more sharpness, should I consider changing the camera and the lenses or only the lenses?

Next time, try shoot in Live view instead. Then you will get rid of AF variance and you will not have a mirror flipping up and down making small shakes.

@Robin4321 wrote:

"Did you ever watch those videos on Autofocus?"

I did watch one or 2 after starting this topic but I'll keep learning about it.

Did you watch these specific videos?

A Look at The Canon Autofocus System Part 1

A Look at The Canon Autofocus System Part 2

@Robin4321 wrote:

" Try setting the camera to the 'Landscape' scene mode and take a landscape photo, how did that photo look? What settings did the camera choose? Try different scene modes like sports and portrait, how do the settings change, and most importantly why do they change?"

I did that before but it hasn't solved the problem so far.

That suggestion is not meant to solve a problem. It is meant to have the camera help educate you on which settings to use.

@Robin4321 wrote:

It's true it's really fast but I purposely set it that way then we can't say the picture is blur because I didn't use a tripod. I'm not sure why you think I'm confused there. Does putting the shutter speed 1/2000 instead of 1/400 affects the quality of the picture? To me it just affects the brightness of the picture.

It didn't effect the brightness because other things changed to compensate for it. The aperture was wide open (which is bad) and the ISO was higher than it needed to be. So yes setting the shutter speed to 1/2000 instead of 1/400 did / does effect the image quality.

Robin,

What TTMartin is saying, correctly, perhaps in a condescending way, is it does depend on the way you view the pictures.

Take the same type shot on you iphone and display it on you computer monitor.  It is actually not the number of pixels but the size of the sensor in each that matter.  Your iphone has a small screen.  That is the difference.

Almost no lens is at its best wide open.  Which is maximum aperture, BTW, not minimum as one responder called it.  Again most lens aberrations do not show up unless you enlarge them enough.  This includes diffraction.  However, a lesser quality lens will always produce lesser quality photos.

This brings us to correct exposure.  Your samples look slightly underexposed to me. When exposure is off a bit other things tend to show up more.

Remember people that are displaying beautiful shots here are showing their best.  Not the one that got away as fishermen say!  Nobody hits 100%.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Oh ok, thank you for all the information.
I use standard yes.
I use the viewfinder most of the time.

Thank you for your quick answer.

It might be a stupid question but how do you know I used a f/18 aperture without me telling it to you? I don't even know what was the aperture on this picture since it's not one I took.

Also, I just tried to take a picture with a f/5.6 aperture and a nice sunlight outside and it's still the same problem so it doesn't seem to be the problem I have.

This is one of the many pictures I took that have noise on it.

I tried pictures with :

-a lot of sunlight, some sunlight, not much sunlight

-landscapes, people or animals

-long shutter speed or short shutter speed

-big aperture, small aperture

Almost nothing changes the problem. I even resetted the camera but nothing changed.

@Robin4321 wrote:

Thank you for your quick answer.

It might be a stupid question but how do you know I used a f/18 aperture without me telling it to you? I don't even know what was the aperture on this picture since it's not one I took.

Also, I just tried to take a picture with a f/5.6 aperture and a nice sunlight outside and it's still the same problem so it doesn't seem to be the problem I have.

This is one of the many pictures I took that have noise on it.

I tried pictures with :

-a lot of sunlight, some sunlight, not much sunlight

-landscapes, people or animals

-long shutter speed or short shutter speed

-big aperture, small aperture

Almost nothing changes the problem. I even resetted the camera but nothing changed.

The picture you posted had the EXIF information which showed it was taken at 18mm, 1/80. f/18, ISO 200

What you are seeing is a lack of sharpness, not noise. There are a lot of things that can cause a photo not to be sharp. If nothing is sharp then you need to start to narrow down the cause. Too small an aperture, too slow a shutter speed (1/80 was fine), making sure the lens is set to AF and IS is ON. 

Are you using the viewfinder or liveview and holding up in front of you and taking the picture in liveview using the rear LCD?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Robin,

I don't think what you are seeing is noise either.  We all seem to agree on that point.  The edited sample by one responder is quite horrid unless you love blue or aqua.  Blue t-shirt?

Just to be clear, noise is the grainy effect that happens as you increase ISO.  Your shots look more blurry than noisy.  I would tend to check that part of the issue first.  Here is what I would like for you to do.  A little test.  You need a tripod.  A sunny day and a nice place to shoot some shots.  Set the T6 to "P" mode.  Set the ISO to 100 or 200 whichever is the lowest setting on your camera. WB set to average.  Pick a nice subject 20 feet away and take some shots.  How do they look?  This will tell you what your gear is capable of.  It will be as good as it gets.

BTW, your issue is not caused by diffraction. Diffraction is, as are most lens aberrations, only an issue if you enlarge enough to see it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements