cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 1300D lots of noise (even with low ISO)

Robin4321
Contributor

Hi everyone,

I'm having big issues with my CANON 1300D. As the title says, I'm having a lot of noise in most of my pictures even if the ISO is at 200.

For example that picture (beside the fact that it's overexposed, it's a good example) :

IMG_0760_compressed_cropped.jpg

There it's cropped a little bit then you can see it clearly :

IMG_0760_compressed_cropped2.jpg

It's 10 times worse than my smartphone.

It does the same thing with both my lenses so it doesn't seem to come from there.

I had the same issue before with a compact camera I bought, I resetted it and for some reason it solved the problem but there it doesn't...

At the moment I'm traveling and it's a bit frustrating to take pictures with my smartphone lol so I hope you can help me there! 🙂

66 REPLIES 66

BTW, this is not bad advice, "The EF 50mm f/1.8 STM is a great bang for the buck lens."  I don't think it will teach you anything more than any other lens will. They all work exactly the same way but it is a very sharp lens.  It is inexpensive.  It is a constant aperture and it is very fast.  These are attributes your current lenses do not have.  Give it a look.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

It is a constant aperture and it is very fast. .

Nitpick: I think you would be hard pressed to find a prime that was *not* constant aperture. 8^)

And I would call it fast, not very fast. F/1.4 and F/1.2 are very fast. F/1 is wicked fast.

kv,

It all depends on just what you are comparing it to.  Certainly meets that criteria against a kit lens. Don't you think?

EB

Also depends on how old you are. 50/1.8 used to *be* the kit lens!

kv,

Not all lenses offered in a kit are 'kit' lenses.  Smiley Happy

EB

Once again, thank you all for the advices.

ebiggs1 -> "What gear do you have exactly?  I know a Rebel T6 and a EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens?  Plus you also have the EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Lens?"

I've got a

EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 III lens (CANON)

and a

Di AF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 TELE-MACRO (1:2) lens (TAMRON) 

"In the landscape you focused on the tree line.   This will tend to make the foreground slightly OOF."

Yes I did this on purpose because that's the part that I find the most ugly in the picture. The trees appear so blue/noisy everytime.

TTMartin -> "Just as using too small an aperture (large f/number) can affect image quality." How does it affect the quality? Does it make the picture noisy?

Once again, I'm sorry to insist but nobody find the quality of those landscape pictures awful ?

Another picture I took this morning of the same landscape with faster shutter speed (so it doesn't come as nice as the other with the same light) to kind of avoid the "not taken with a tripod" problem (1/2000) :

IMG_0791_compressed.jpg

If after that you still tell me I can't do much better for the landscape one I think I'll just buy a better lens

This is a crop of what annoys me the most 😛 (look how blur/noisy it is there !) :

IMG_0791cop.jpg

If after all, you still tell me this is almost the best I can get out of a landscape then I think I'll buy a better lens...

Although it's one of the cheapest reflex cameras/lenses on the market, it would be a pitty that the landscape pictures don't come out better than my smartphone...

I just checked your EXIF data.  The shot is 55mm at f/5.6, which means minimum aperture.  I would encourage you to use f/8 on landscape shots, and not use the camera at mimimum aperture when you do not have to.

Again, yoiur 18-55mm is not the best lens out there.  The EF 50mm f/1.8 STM is dramatically sharper at f/5.6 than your kit lens. 

Pixel peeping can be bad for your mental health.  Do not expect to see razor sharp details on distant objects.  Sometimes the air between you and the objects can subtly blur the image, in ways similar to seeing a mirage on a desert.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Robin4321 wrote:

TTMartin -> "Just as using too small an aperture (large f/number) can affect image quality." How does it affect the quality? Does it make the picture noisy?

Once again, I'm sorry to insist but nobody find the quality of those landscape pictures awful ?

Another picture I took this morning of the same landscape with faster shutter speed (so it doesn't come as nice as the other with the same light) to kind of avoid the "not taken with a tripod" problem (1/2000) :

If after that you still tell me I can't do much better for the landscape one I think I'll just buy a better lens

This is a crop of what annoys me the most 😛 (look how blur/noisy it is there !) :

If after all, you still tell me this is almost the best I can get out of a landscape then I think I'll buy a better lens...

Although it's one of the cheapest reflex cameras/lenses on the market, it would be a pitty that the landscape pictures don't come out better than my smartphone...

NO! That is not the best you can get out of that lens. Just like in the photos above that photo was taken at the maximum aperture of the lens (f/5.6) so it is not as sharp as it could be. It would have been sharper taken at f/8 or f/11. You don't need to buy new gear until you learn to maximize the gear you have.

Also, you should stop 'pixel peeping' (Google it) looking at that 100% crop on your computer monitor is equivalent to having it printed 5 feet by 7 feet. Also since your new camera has 2 times as many pixels as your smartphone try zooming your smartphone photos to 200% and see how they compare.

You need to learn how aperture effects depth of field, what apertures are sharpest for your lenses (it's NOT wide open), at what aperture does diffraction start to noticeably impact image quality (smaller than f/11 for a APS-C camera, remember when talking about apertures the larger the f/number the smaller the aperture). Don't worry about ISO, but, keep your shutter speed reasonable for the type of photography you are doing. 1/2000 is ridiculously fast for a landscape photo and shows that you are just getting confused by some of the posters here. Learn proper technique on how to hold your camera (again Google it) or find a local photography group and ask for help. Try setting the camera to the 'Landscape' scene mode and take a landscape photo, how did that photo look? What settings did the camera choose? Try different scene modes like sports and portrait, how do the settings change, and most importantly why do they change? You've just got a lot to learn and spending money on a new lens wont help you learn.

Take the landscape taken at f/10 in the previous post up to your local big box and have them print it out at 8"x10" (Walmart charges $3) and then evaluate the photo.

Did you ever watch those videos on Autofocus?

Waddizzle -> "I just checked your EXIF data.  The shot is 55mm at f/5.6, which means minimum aperture.  I would encourage you to use f/8 on landscape shots, and not use the camera at mimimum aperture when you do not have to."

How using the minimum aperture of a camera is bad for pictures?

"Pixel peeping can be bad for your mental health.  Do not expect to see razor sharp details on distant objects. "

I only do it to clearly show on the forum what annoys me but at the first place I don't need to crop to be frustrated at the picture Smiley Tongue

"Sometimes the air between you and the objects can subtly blur the image, in ways similar to seeing a mirage on a desert."

Ok I didn't know about that. 

----------------

TTMartin -> I do read a lot of things online. There are many things I don't know about and I'm learning a lot with you guys as I'm just starting to learn about photo but you seem to underevaluate a bit my level there (no offense there).

I know what aperture (can make the background purposely more or less blur), shutter speed (can make the whole picture blur if too long and not using a tripod) and ISO (can add noise if too high) are even if I don't always know some things they can impact on like the diffraction thing (I'll make researches about it).

"Also, you should stop 'pixel peeping' (Google it) looking at that 100% crop on your computer monitor is equivalent to having it printed 5 feet by 7 feet. Also since your new camera has 2 times as many pixels as your smartphone try zooming your smartphone photos to 200% and see how they compare."

To me, the most accurate way to compare pictures is to display them at the same size (100% or 200% or whatever), if you zoom in more in the smartphone picture than in the reflex camera picture, you obviously will see more noise/blur things.

"You need to learn how aperture effects depth of field"

I do know about this one and it nothing to do with my problem there.

"1/2000 is ridiculously fast for a landscape photo and shows that you are just getting confused by some of the posters here. "

It's true it's really fast but I purposely set it that way then we can't say the picture is blur because I didn't use a tripod. I'm not sure why you think I'm confused there. Does putting the shutter speed 1/2000 instead of 1/400 affects the quality of the picture? To me it just affects the brightness of the picture.

" Try setting the camera to the 'Landscape' scene mode and take a landscape photo, how did that photo look? What settings did the camera choose? Try different scene modes like sports and portrait, how do the settings change, and most importantly why do they change?"

I did that before but it hasn't solved the problem so far.

"Did you ever watch those videos on Autofocus?"

I did watch one or 2 after starting this topic but I'll keep learning about it.

TTMartin thanks for your help anyway, don't be offended by what I just said, I was just trying to make it more clear on what I know and what I don't.

@Robin4321 wrote:

To me, the most accurate way to compare pictures is to display them at the same size (100% or 200% or whatever), if you zoom in more in the smartphone picture than in the reflex camera picture, you obviously will see more noise/blur things.

When you have twice as many megapixel when you zoom both in 100% you've actually zoomed in twice as far on the 1300D than you did on the cellphone. So you are not zooming both in to the same size.

If you take the same picture with both cameras and you zoom both in 100%, the zoomed in part on your 1300D will be twice as big as the zoomed in part on your cellphone, because the 1300D has more megapixels making up the entire image.

Announcements