cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 1300D lots of noise (even with low ISO)

Robin4321
Contributor

Hi everyone,

I'm having big issues with my CANON 1300D. As the title says, I'm having a lot of noise in most of my pictures even if the ISO is at 200.

For example that picture (beside the fact that it's overexposed, it's a good example) :

IMG_0760_compressed_cropped.jpg

There it's cropped a little bit then you can see it clearly :

IMG_0760_compressed_cropped2.jpg

It's 10 times worse than my smartphone.

It does the same thing with both my lenses so it doesn't seem to come from there.

I had the same issue before with a compact camera I bought, I resetted it and for some reason it solved the problem but there it doesn't...

At the moment I'm traveling and it's a bit frustrating to take pictures with my smartphone lol so I hope you can help me there! 🙂

66 REPLIES 66

@ebiggs1 wrote:

The edited sample by one responder is quite horrid unless you love blue or aqua.  Blue t-shirt?

I was going for that over saturated point and shoot / cellphone look. But, now that you mention it, it does look more like one of those HDR photos you post than a cellphone. 

@ebiggs1 wrote:

BTW, your issue is not caused by diffraction. Diffraction is, as are most lens aberrations, only an issue if you enlarge enough to see it.

Diffraction is not her only problem. I don't think there is any one problem here, but, many little things contributing to the overall issue. However, f/18 is well into the range where diffraction is reducing the image quality and sharpness when using a APS-C camera. You also might want to brush up on what diffraction actually is, since your answer is a little off.

"However, f/18 is well into the range where diffraction is reducing the image quality and sharpness ..."

You might want to stop reading so many encyclopedias and do more hands on photography.  You just might learn to way things are in the real world. If the OP does the simple test I suggested they wil know exaactly what the gear will do.  No book learning, no inner web required.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks a lot to everyone for all your answers.

There are all very clear and make sense to me.

Waddizzle -> Thank you for all the explanations. " The camera kit lens must have a ceiling under 10 MP." it sounds so sad to me lol

ScottyP -> Thank you too for the explanations. I'll try to work on the AF dots thing.

ebiggs1 -> I'll try your test and let you guys know what result I get.

I really hope I'll end up understanding exactly what I do wrong and what are my camera's limits because at the moment I'm super frustrated my pictures are not half as nice as the ones I took with my compact camera (that doesn't work anymore...RIP)

@Robin4321 wrote:

Thanks a lot to everyone for all your answers.

There are all very clear and make sense to me.

Waddizzle -> Thank you for all the explanations. " The camera kit lens must have a ceiling under 10 MP." it sounds so sad to me lol

ScottyP -> Thank you too for the explanations. I'll try to work on the AF dots thing.

ebiggs1 -> I'll try your test and let you guys know what result I get.

I really hope I'll end up understanding exactly what I do wrong and what are my camera's limits because at the moment I'm super frustrated my pictures are not half as nice as the ones I took with my compact camera (that doesn't work anymore...RIP)

Just keep taking photos until the light bulb goes off.  

Try to use the highest shutter speed that's practical.  With the 1300D, put a priority on using the lowest ISO, between 100-800.  Invest in a wide aperture lens like the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM, or the EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Just keep shooting photos.  I thought I had it figured out after a couple hundred shots.  Nope, it took more like a few thousand shots.  It took that long to gain the experience to figure out how to shoot in low light conditions.

Once I had halfway figured out low light conditions, my shots under good conditions were greatly improved.  If you have never heard of the " Exposure Triangle ", then do a web search and read up on it. Being familiar with it will help you better understand the shutter speed and ISO settings.  

Another topic worth researching is " Depth Of Field ".  Understanding DOF will help you understand your Aperture settings.

Finally, shooting as RAW, instead of JPEG, is the way to go under most conditions.  It requires that you use post processing software to convert the digital negatives into a JPEG, but the final results are better.  You can even correct for bad exposures more easily when you shoot RAW, as well as make numerous other adjustments, such applying Lens Correction to images..

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Robin said,

" I'm super frustrated my pictures are not half as nice as the ones I took with my compact camera"

Please do the simple test.  Do keep shooting photos.  You don't need any additional gear right now.  Learn what you have first.

I know frustrated but make this a learning experience and have fun with it.  Not even the best photographers in the world get every shot.  I've been there done that!  

The simple truth is most of the time the T6 will do a perfectly good job with these basic settings; P mode, ISO 100 and Average WB.  That is the reason compact cameras and cell phones work at all.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements