cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot format my sd card Canon Rebel sL1

JJCamille
Contributor
I need help. I have a brand new ScanDisk ULTRA 64 GB sd card. I have looked up many forums and YouTube videos and tried everything but still get the message "Cannot format; change card". Please does anyone have any tips or tricks? Do I need to get a different SD card?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JJCamille
Contributor
Hello everyone; UPDATE. So I bought a brand new SanDisk from Best Buy and it is working like a charm! Something I noticed between the old sd car and the new sd card was that the old one that was not formatting is missing the V10 logo on the right hand side of the SD XC logo!

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Tronhard wrote:

JJ, with the greatest respect, the biggest issue you have is your complete lack of knowledge about cameras.   Yes, by all means get a new card - if you got the one that has the issue from a reputable dealer, return it if you can do so.

BUT, you need to get some experienced people to help you understand the basics of camera technology.  I would strongly suggest you engage with your local camera group - there is a site called meetup.com that may help you there.  If not search for a local photography club or society on Google.   Get someone who has experience to give you some basic lessons and help you set up to take photos.

Youtube has some videos on the basics of photography, and if you go to you local library's on-line catalogue, do a search for a listing for lynda.com.   If it comes up as available it is access to a huge wealth of professional-quality training on photography from the most basic to expert level. It's a fantastic reference.  If the library does not have it,  you can go directly to the website www.lynda.com and get a free month, no obligation trial.  Use that month to get some basic photographic courses under your belt.

I particulary recommend the courses by Ben Long - Photography Foundations.

Canon has some excellent videos in their Digital Leanring Center.  

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/General-Camera-Discussion/Canon-YouTube-Video-Series/m-p/269237#M... 

These videos are just a starting point, which barely crack the surface.

I think ANYTHING that gives the OP a start is worth offering.  It's good that we can offer a range of solutions, I hope the OP will engage with at least one of them.  I can believe it would be daunting to face this tech starting from 0 knowledge.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

@kvbarkley wrote:

If it is not a typo for SanDisk, it is a clever counterfeit!

I really need to take the counterfeit products class at my work to see more of these.

Believe it, or not.  The ScanDisk brand exists, and is sold on Amazon.

D8222477-915D-4307-90F0-E0EADDB072AE.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

That Scandisk brand card looks like a blatent cover-over some other (likely) generic card.  It certainly has absolutely no trustworthy information on the label they put over the top of whatever it originally was!

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

JJCamille
Contributor
Honestly folks I am so lost. This is a friends camara that is brand new and she has never used it. I am still a beginner and don't know how to tell at all the specs and if the chip I believe is full size. I went a formatted the card via my pc but I am still getting the same message through my camara. I was told that I may need to do a firmware update so I found that through the Canon website but there are 5 options that I dont know which one to use. They all say 100d_sl1_x7- firmwareupdate then they all have different last digits. -en, -fr, -jp, -sp, - zh. So I have no clue. The disk itself says SanDisk ULTRA 80MB/s. To the right side it has the SD logo with XC 1 then the C10 logo underneath that.

the dash numbers are the language, english, french, japanese...

These are micro Sd's with adapters:

Untitled.jpg

Full size looks only like the adapter.

Try a new full size card.

@JJCamille wrote:
Honestly folks I am so lost. This is a friends camara that is brand new and she has never used it. I am still a beginner and don't know how to tell at all the specs and if the chip I believe is full size. I went a formatted the card via my pc but I am still getting the same message through my camara. I was told that I may need to do a firmware update so I found that through the Canon website but there are 5 options that I dont know which one to use. They all say 100d_sl1_x7- firmwareupdate then they all have different last digits. -en, -fr, -jp, -sp, - zh. So I have no clue. The disk itself says SanDisk ULTRA 80MB/s. To the right side it has the SD logo with XC 1 then the C10 logo underneath that.

Those last digits are describing the default language the menus will use: English, French, Japanese, German, etc.  BUT, forget about doing a firmware update for now.  You may do more harm than good.  I doubt if that would correct the issue, whatever it might be, anyway.

Your memory card is the prime suspect, until proven otherwise.  Make sure that you purchase SD cards from a reputable source.  There are many counterfeit cards being sold on Amazon and eBay.  I recommend stopping by a Best Buy.  

50FAD33C-B627-40E0-8314-83667A8DB6DE.jpeg

These are the cards that I use.  I have never had an issue with Sandisk FULL size SD cards.  I suggest that you go out and buy a new SD card from a local store.

JJCamille
Contributor
Great thank you so much for the advice. I will go get a new card then from best buy!

@JJCamille wrote:
Great thank you so much for the advice. I will go get a new card then from best buy!

Only buy Lexar or Sandisk.  They have other brands that are not as reliable.  I use Sandisk exclusively.

JJCamille
Contributor
I really appreciate you feedback. Thank you. I used to work with a manual Pentax but that was years ago. I do have a photography site on Facebook and YouPic JayJayCamille Photography but that has all been with (embarassed to say) a phone camara. I will definitely spend some time investing in learning about using an actual camara! I like tge suggestions you offered and will start putting myself out there to learn from other photographers. Thank you kindly.

@JJCamille wrote:
I really appreciate you feedback. Thank you. I used to work with a manual Pentax but that was years ago. I do have a photography site on Facebook and YouPic JayJayCamille Photography but that has all been with (embarassed to say) a phone camara. I will definitely spend some time investing in learning about using an actual camara! I like tge suggestions you offered and will start putting myself out there to learn from other photographers. Thank you kindly.

Let us know how you make out with a new memory card.  Your camera may need Canon Service, too.

Announcements