cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot format my sd card Canon Rebel sL1

JJCamille
Contributor
I need help. I have a brand new ScanDisk ULTRA 64 GB sd card. I have looked up many forums and YouTube videos and tried everything but still get the message "Cannot format; change card". Please does anyone have any tips or tricks? Do I need to get a different SD card?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JJCamille
Contributor
Hello everyone; UPDATE. So I bought a brand new SanDisk from Best Buy and it is working like a charm! Something I noticed between the old sd car and the new sd card was that the old one that was not formatting is missing the V10 logo on the right hand side of the SD XC logo!

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

@JJCamille wrote:
I need help. I have a brand new ScanDisk ULTRA 64 GB sd card. I have looked up many forums and YouTube videos and tried everything but still get the message "Cannot format; change card". Please does anyone have any tips or tricks? Do I need to get a different SD card?

Hi JJ:

1st, have you had success formatting other cards, particularly high capacity ones? According to the SL1 specs it should be able to use SD/SDHCSDXC cards, so that would suggest it should.

2nd, Where did you get your Sandisc Ultra card from?  I see you have spelt it differently from the official manufacturer, is that just a typo or did you copy it from the card.   There are lots of counterfeit cards out there.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Is is a full size card or a micro card with an adapter?

Use a full size card

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If it were "write protected" I would expect it to tell you so, but check the write protect tab, anyway.  It sounds like you may have a bad card.  BTW, I have never heard the brand "ScanDisk" before.  Is that a typo?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

If it is not a typo for SanDisk, it is a clever counterfeit!

I really need to take the counterfeit products class at my work to see more of these.

It was a typo.

@JJCamille wrote:

It was a typo.

I think you have this one.

FDE75AC9-94A6-4B1B-9965-0137996DDC06.jpeg

Yes that is the one I have.

JJ, with the greatest respect, the biggest issue you have is your complete lack of knowledge about cameras.   Yes, by all means get a new card - if you got the one that has the issue from a reputable dealer, return it if you can do so.

BUT, you need to get some experienced people to help you understand the basics of camera technology.  I would strongly suggest you engage with your local camera group - there is a site called meetup.com that may help you there.  If not search for a local photography club or society on Google.   Get someone who has experience to give you some basic lessons and help you set up to take photos.

Youtube has some videos on the basics of photography, and if you go to you local library's on-line catalogue, do a search for a listing for lynda.com.   If it comes up as available it is access to a huge wealth of professional-quality training on photography from the most basic to expert level. It's a fantastic reference.  If the library does not have it,  you can go directly to the website www.lynda.com and get a free month, no obligation trial.  Use that month to get some basic photographic courses under your belt.

I particulary recommend the courses by Ben Long - Photography Foundations.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

@Tronhard wrote:

JJ, with the greatest respect, the biggest issue you have is your complete lack of knowledge about cameras.   Yes, by all means get a new card - if you got the one that has the issue from a reputable dealer, return it if you can do so.

BUT, you need to get some experienced people to help you understand the basics of camera technology.  I would strongly suggest you engage with your local camera group - there is a site called meetup.com that may help you there.  If not search for a local photography club or society on Google.   Get someone who has experience to give you some basic lessons and help you set up to take photos.

Youtube has some videos on the basics of photography, and if you go to you local library's on-line catalogue, do a search for a listing for lynda.com.   If it comes up as available it is access to a huge wealth of professional-quality training on photography from the most basic to expert level. It's a fantastic reference.  If the library does not have it,  you can go directly to the website www.lynda.com and get a free month, no obligation trial.  Use that month to get some basic photographic courses under your belt.

I particulary recommend the courses by Ben Long - Photography Foundations.

Canon has some excellent videos in their Digital Leanring Center.  

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/General-Camera-Discussion/Canon-YouTube-Video-Series/m-p/269237#M... 

These videos are just a starting point, which barely crack the surface.

Announcements