cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannon rebel t5

Tamlyn
Apprentice
I dropped my cannon rebel t5 and now my focus isn't working is there a way to fix that ?
4 REPLIES 4

@Tamlyn wrote:
I dropped my cannon rebel t5 and now my focus isn't working is there a way to fix that ?

Probably not, at a price worth paying. And absent serious visible damage, there's no reliable way to tell whether the problem is in the camera, the lens, or both. Take it to a competent repair shop, or send it back to Canon, for an estimate.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Could it have been set to Manual mode?

Does it focus in live view?

Do you have another lens to try?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I dropped my cannon rebel t5 ..."

How far and on to what ?  Does anything on the T5 work ? Which lens ? The lens may just have been jammed and can be fixed fairly easily.  Even by you !  EF-S 18-55mm zoom ?

Try this:

1. Take the lens off of your camera.
  2. Put the lens in MF mode.
  3. Twist the FOCUS ring (the tip of the lens) all the way to one side (extend it). You may hear a click noise or two, this is good, but don't FORCE the lens.
  4. Twist the FOCUS ring all the way to the opposite side (retract it). Again, you may hear a couple of clicking noises. What we hope is happening is the focusing motor being put back into its proper place.
  5. Put the lens back on the camera.
  6. Put the lens in AF mode.
  7. Try it.
EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

My "guess" (without seeing your camera) is that you damaged the lens.  You might have damaged something internal to the camera... but the lens is more fragile than the camera -- so it's more likely that it's the lens.

Canon has lenses priced as low as $120 ... all the way up through $12000.  But a T5 tends to come with a single "kit" lens priced for affordability (the main design point of the camera is to provide access to a DSLR at affordable prices.)

This means that if it really is just the lens, it's probably more in labor and materials (mostly labor) to repair the lens then it is to just buy a new lens (as lens prices go... it's on the low side).

The kit lens for a T5 is usually the older Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II.  The Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens is actually a much better lens (better optics, faster and quieter AF, etc.) and it sells for $249 retail.  The original kit lens that came with your camera (the non-STM lens) sells for $199 retail.    While the STM version is $50 more... it's worth every penny (it's a much better lens).

Again... this assumes the camera body is ok and undamaged and that ONLY the lens is damaged.  Without seeing your camera & lens, I can't be sure that swapping the lens is all that is required.   

If you happen to own another lens ... try swapping lenses to see if the camera works fine with a different lens (that would pretty much confirm the guess that the lens is damaged and not the camera).

If you do not own another lens but have a local camera store (a real camera store... not a big-box store that just happens to also sell cameras) then the staff can probably look at your camera and even try a different lens (they can grab one of their demo cameras to test the lens and make sure that the camera works as long as it uses an undamaged lens).  

Most camera stores sell the lenses at the same price but occasionally a big box store might have a price that's better than a real camera store.  HOWEVER... having a live human who actually knows their way around a camera (something you're not likely to get at a big box store) is worth something.  So if they're able to give you personal assistance and let you test a different lens, answer your questions, etc. (something you almost certainly wont get at a big box store) then I'd buy the replacement lens from them even if their price is $10-25 more (you easily got $25 worth of value out of their knowledge.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements