cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannon T7i

Barby64
Enthusiast

Ok so I do not know a thing about this camera other then it is going to be awesome 
but fo those of you who have had one , what are some basics and some tips to know about this camera 
THANK YOU EVERYONE  for your help with picking it out for me 
glad I went from just a T7 to a T7i 
look s like more features for me to play with 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Assuming the students were learning on a Rebel, there is no safety shift to worry about.

I would include shooting with other Canon cameras in that total shots, my T6S was not all that different than my T3i. I am still figuring out my Olympus TG-5, though.

View solution in original post

63 REPLIES 63

I had a quick play tonight with christmas lights, I used HDR Vivid mode, a little over exposed but a nice effect all the same.

christmas

Nice shot! Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thankyou, I have always found christmas lights to be a bit of a challenge, tiny points of very bright light in a dark background isnt the easiest thing to capture to a novice like me. I wonder of a polarising filter or ND filter would reduce the glare?

@robgilmo wrote:

Thankyou, I have always found christmas lights to be a bit of a challenge, tiny points of very bright light in a dark background isnt the easiest thing to capture to a novice like me. I wonder of a polarising filter or ND filter would reduce the glare?

As long as you stay in one of the automatic Basic modes, most images will never be quite what you want.  I would suggest using P or Av mode.  But, change the metering to "Center Weighted Average".  [just remember to change it BACK!]

The default metering mode is "Evaluative Metering", which is good enough for 99.99% of what most people do.  But when you get into low light conditions or HDR conditions, then all bets are off.  This is where practice and experience kicks in.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Cool, thankyou, I will try that on my next venture, I really want to nail it this year! What WB would you suggest? From what I am reading dusk is best when there is still natural light, low iso and daylight/tungsten WB, the problem with that is I dont get home from work early enough to catch any natural light.  

I have always been keen on low light photography/night photography, probably because where I live the scenery is quite bland during the day.

"What WB would you suggest?"

"(it) is best when there is still natural light, low iso and daylight/tungsten WB, ..." "I have always been keen on low light photography/night photography ..."

The answer to all your questions is, post editing.  You need a good post editor like Photoshop or Photoshop Elements if you don't want the full blown PS.  You got a free editor, DPP4, with your camera from Canon which will do a good job, too.

Why?  Because you need to be shooting Raw file format.  Never jpg, you can not get the best pictures from jpg. Almost no camera setting effects a Raw file.  All that is set in the editor and you can set it where ever you want it or like it. Exposure and focus are the main most important thing to get with Raw.  And, even exposure can be adjusted several stops in Raw. You need to nail focus, however.

EB

Barby64
Enthusiast
I’ve been practicing with the auto mode and the P setting and trying to figure out the rest
Need family pictures soon and it’s always taken on the front porch full of white lights
So thinking I am using the tripod and the wide angel lens and lots of prayers

@Barby64 wrote:
I’ve been practicing with the auto mode and the P setting and trying to figure out the rest
Need family pictures soon and it’s always taken on the front porch full of white lights
So thinking I am using the tripod and the wide angle lens and lots of prayers

If you have one of those "wide angle lens" filters that attach to the front of a lens, throw it away.  The 18mm end of your kit lens should be sufficient.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"I’ve been practicing with the auto mode and the P setting and trying to figure out the rest
Need family pictures soon and it’s always taken on the front porch full of white lights"

First get a small piece of electrical tape and cover the green square on the mode dial with it.  That way you will not be temped to use it ever again. Matter of fact cover all the auto modes on that side of the dial while you are at it.

When you need an auto setting use P mode. Otherwise stick with Av, Tv and or full manual M mode.  You need to change your file format to Raw. Not jpg, there is almost never a good reason to use jpg anymore. You should make all you adjustment in a good post editor like I suggested in the above post.

EB

Need family pictures soon and it’s always taken on the front porch full of white lights"

Here is how you do this, set average metering. Get there s bit before you intend to take the real shot and make a few test shots. No people or you can have a volunteer step in for a test subject.  Check the settings in the camera and determine which is best.  If you notice the SS is very slow, then you need to employ your tripod.  If DOF isn't enough for a fully sharp photo adjust the Av setting to a smaller f-number. Etc, etc and son on. Shoot Raw format and edit the shots in post.

If on the other hand you just set Auto, jpg, and hope for the best, you are probably going to be disappointed.  Been there done that, right?

EB
Announcements