cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannon T7i

Barby64
Enthusiast

Ok so I do not know a thing about this camera other then it is going to be awesome 
but fo those of you who have had one , what are some basics and some tips to know about this camera 
THANK YOU EVERYONE  for your help with picking it out for me 
glad I went from just a T7 to a T7i 
look s like more features for me to play with 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Assuming the students were learning on a Rebel, there is no safety shift to worry about.

I would include shooting with other Canon cameras in that total shots, my T6S was not all that different than my T3i. I am still figuring out my Olympus TG-5, though.

View solution in original post

63 REPLIES 63

"Lunar Eclipse". ... at 20 below zero F.

BBCE9FF6-BAAD-4E34-BD94-6028A80FBEE2.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

10,000+

5E966277-77B3-4364-8F73-5E9A735EE1F0.jpeg

Congratulations!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

what is photoshop CS6 ???? 
I tried a bird pic today and it was awful
i took this with my 300 lens and T5 rebel 

dove in flight .jpg

"what is photoshop CS6 ????"

Photoshop is the world standard professional editing software.  It is the best.  It is expensive and it is difficult to learn all its features.  Is it worth it?  Yes if you have that level of need.  I have used it since it began, many years ago. I would not be without it but there are others that do just fine for most people. And, they are a lot less expensive.  Example. Photoshop Elements very reasonably priced at around a hundred bucks.  Or, want free? The included with your new camera from Canon is DPP4.  Also a challenging learning curve but well worth it.

CS6 stands for Creative Suite ver 6.  PS is a part of a complete photo/video/publishing software suite. Again very expensive and a steep learning curve

EB

"I tried a bird pic today and it was awful"

Unfortunately out of focus (OOF) pictures are not something that can be fixed in post editing.  SOmetimes you might be able to make them a little better but it is best to have a properly focused shot. Also motion blur from using a very long lens (300mm+) will be virtually impossible to correct in post editing.

"i took this with my 300 lens and T5 rebel"

This is going to be a difficult lens to hand hold and get super sharp images.  Make sure the SS is 1/500 or higher and higher is better.  Set the Rebel to Av.  ISO pretty high, say 800 to start with.  The Rebel will select the fastest SS possible and with similar conditions of your shot, it should provide sufficiently fast SS.

EB

@Barby64 wrote:

what is photoshop CS6 ???? 
I tried a bird pic today and it was awful
i took this with my 300 lens and T5 rebel 

dove in flight .jpg

Great capture, though.  It looks better than my first attempt at a BIF, bird in flight.  I totally missed the bird.  I got the trees.  I like the way the bird is framed in the shot, which is called composition.  Do a web search for " Rule of Thirds. "

Barby64
Enthusiast
I just have to say
I think 10,000 pictures is right for me
I am trying to get pictures the way I want them and rarely did I leave the auto shot, close up, modes
Now even in auto to much blues out
I can’t get the bird pictures I want etc
So I will probably take that many to figure it out

@Barby64 wrote:
I just have to say
I think 10,000 pictures is right for me
I am trying to get pictures the way I want them and rarely did I leave the auto shot, close up, modes
Now even in auto to much blues out
I can’t get the bird pictures I want etc
So I will probably take that many to figure it out

For people who are totally new to DSLRs and photography, it takes a while to gain the experience and for it all to sink in.    

I suggest getting out of those automatic modes, and start using P mode.  P mode opens up all of the camera menus.  It is the best mode to use to learn about the features in the camera.  Of course, that teaches you nothing about photography.   

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/General-Camera-Discussion/Canon-YouTube-Video-Series/m-p/269237#M... 

The links in the first two posts are very good starting points.  All of the links in the thread are to Canon's YouTube channel.  The first post links to a series of videos that teach you the basics of DSLRs and photography.  The second posts links to a series of videos that teach you about lenses.  

All of the videos are short, under 5 minutes as I recall.  You will likely want to watch them more than once.

Barby64
Enthusiast
Thanks
Announcements