cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannon T3i as live camera

MPStilwell
Apprentice

I work in a concert hall and we have a Cannon T3i hanging from the ceiling down on the keys of a piano. The signal is sent via HDMI to a TV to show the audience what the pianist is playing. The issue is the signal gets turned off (even with continued power) after 25 minutes. We have tried putting a card in and actually recording it but it turns off in 12 minutes in this mode (Movie automatically stopped message). Are there any ways to get it to stay on and use it for this purpose? 

Thank you in advance! 

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

That is normal behavior for a DSLR.  I suggest that you buy a camcorder, or an actual video camera, for what you want to do.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

That is normal behavior for a DSLR.  I suggest that you buy a camcorder, or an actual video camera, for what you want to do.

Second that. One thing you must understand is that no DSLR can record video for more than 30 minutes. If it could, it would be taxed as a video camera by certain jurisdictions that tax them more heavily than still cameras.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Canon should make it clear that ALL their DSLRs are stills cameras that do video and are not video camera that shoot stills.

This all came about with the invention of Live View.  Somebody got the bright idea that the LV could be recorded and here we are.  Bottom line is you need a true video camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

DSLR makers had to add video to compete with high-end point and shoots.

But then some filmakers realized that they could get shallow depth of field with the larger DSLR sensors. When that happened*, about 10 years ago folks made the mistake of thinking that DSLR's were video camera's as opposed to dogs walking on their hind legs.

*https://petapixel.com/2010/04/09/house-season-finale-filmed-entirely-with-canon-5d-mark-ii/

"But then some filmakers realized that they could get shallow depth of field with the larger  cheaper cameras using a DSLR sensors."

The advent of video on a DSLR was, why not?  All the componets were already there.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements