cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannon T3i Rebel body supports Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens?

mailpravinat
Apprentice

Hi,

I have Cannon T3i Rebel body  and now i wanted to buy a new lens. Does Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens supports Cannon T3i Rebel?

Thanks

Praveen

8 REPLIES 8

ScottyP
Authority
Yes. Absolutely. The EFS lenses ONLY fit The crop frame cameras like T3i. The EF lenses fit Both crop frame and also full frame Canon DSLR bodies. (Just not mirrorless bodies).
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Can you suggest me any better lens than Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM or this is the best in that segment?

Thanks,

Praveen

I've personally been a fan of the EF-S 15-85 which is a great all purpose zoom for crop cameras like yours. It is a little wider but not as long in focal length. It has the same variable aperture range as the 18-135. The real benefits of this lens are its excellent sharpness and build quality. I would certainly add this to your list of lens to consider.

@mailpravinat wrote:

Can you suggest me any better lens than Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM or this is the best in that segment?

Thanks,

Praveen

There really isn't a 'best', as it depends on your needs and uses.  Of course there are better lenses, but they cost more, usually have less range, and a bigger and heavier.  Image Quality and large apertures are very important to me, so if I was shopping for a wide angle lens for a crop I’d get the 17-55 /2.8.  It’s also a $1000 lens, considerably more than your 18-135.  If you’re not going to shoot at f/2.8 then there’s little use in spending the money on a lens like that.

The 18-135 is inexpensive, light and reasonably small, and has terrific range making it a good all around lens for travel or street photography.  The image quality isn’t going to match more expensive lenses with less range (in general, the longer the range the worse the IQ), but that doesn’t mean it’s bad.  I think it looks like a good introductory lens for a modest investment that gives you a lot of range.  If you find yourself needing better glass in the future then you’re really not set back all that much.

Stephen

Hi mailpravinat!

Just to expand on what everyone is saying: the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens will physically mount to your EOS Rebel T3i, and the lens will auto focus in photo mode, however, in video mode the stepping motor will not function which means that the camera will not contuniously auto focus because the EOS Rebel T3i does not support the STM function of the lens.

Hello Stephen, is any EOS Rebel support the STM function of the lens for auto focus in video?

Yes, STM is in the lens. But it depends on the camera as to how well it autofocus' during video. My T6S would be better in that regard than the T3i.

Thanks so much for the information Kvbarkley.

Announcements