cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannon Rebel xs shutter problem

Cowboy0622
Apprentice

We have used our Rebel XS camera for a couple years.  Usually on full auto, but sometimes on portrait, sports, etc... Never any problem.  Now all of a sudden, the shutter has stopped functioning.  When I try and take a picture, the flash will pop up and flash but the shutter does not snap the picture.  On the screen in the eye pice there is a number 9 with a green flashing light beside it.

I have tried the battery, and SD card but to no avail.  I read a post here and changed the lens from "autofocus" to manul focus and the shutter worked.  My question is how to I fix it so it will work on auto focus too?  is ther some setting that got switched by accident?  Do I need a service call to have it cleaned and repaired? 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.   Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

What is your budget and your future plans for photography? If you were happy with what you had and wouldn't be looking at a new lens if the existing one didn't fail then a new or used version of that lens is the least expensive path to getting back to where you were - $200 or less.

If you are able/willing to spend a little more then the suggested 18-135mm lens is a good choice. Significant inclease in long focal length. It would minimize the number of times/situtions where you would need to put on the 70-300mm lens.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

the "9" is the number of burst shots the camera can take. The flashing green dot is the autofocus confirmation - flashing means focus isn't confirmed. In AF mode camera won't activate shutter if focus isn't confirmed.

Problem is either 1. camera cannot communicate with lens or 2. lens cannot respond to a focus command.

Do you have (or can you get access to a second lens)? That will tell you if its camera or lebs problem.

If not, remove lens. Carefully wipe contacts on camera side and lens side. verify that all camera contact pins are free to move my carefully pressing on them.

If that doesn't correct the problem you are hindered by having only one lens.

What lens is it? Maybe that particular lens has a known issue with internal flex cable problems.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

The lens that is norrmally on the camera and not working is the one that came on it.  It i a Cannon Zoom Lens EF-S  18-55.

When I swap lenses with my 70-300 lens the camera seems to work fine so it must be the 18-55 lens.   (I ordered a Cannon lens this size from the internet and was sent a Sigma brand 70-300) .

What is the next step.  Do I have to purchase a new 18-55 lens??  Can it be fixed?  I tried to wipe down the brass contacts and the contacts on the lens do not seem to move at all. 

Thank you in advance for your assistance. ( I will retire in 30 days and it is my understanding I can take classes at the university for free since I'll be 65, so I might try and take some photography courses.)

The 18-55 is known to have problems with failure of internal flex cable. Repar, replace or consider a different lens would be the choices.

The 18-55 is not one of Canon's finest, but if you were happy with what you were getting as images then B&H Photo has used ones for less than $100.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

What lens would you replace it with? (ruling out the white $10K lenses professionals use. lol) What gives you the most bang for the buck? 

Thanbk you again for your assistance

I like the EF-S 18-135. It has a good focal length range for walking around. There is also the EF-S 15-85. Check on Canon's refurbished store, you can get a good deal there.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

What is your budget and your future plans for photography? If you were happy with what you had and wouldn't be looking at a new lens if the existing one didn't fail then a new or used version of that lens is the least expensive path to getting back to where you were - $200 or less.

If you are able/willing to spend a little more then the suggested 18-135mm lens is a good choice. Significant inclease in long focal length. It would minimize the number of times/situtions where you would need to put on the 70-300mm lens.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thank everyone for the assistance.  I'll just replace my lens with the same one for $109.00.  When I take the photography courtse and learn more about the camera and its abilities, I may start branching out then to different lenses.  Thanks  everyone.

Announcements