cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannon Rebel XTI issue, will focus, won't capture picture

GOStudioNC
Apprentice

Hello,

My wife and I have a Cannon Rebel XTi that we've been using for a few years with no issues. Recently we've had a huge issue that has popped up with it though. When it is in AF mode, pushing the shutter button halfway down it will focus. Sometimes though (sometimes it will work fine, sometimes it will not work at all) it will focus but not take the picture. 

We have tried using different lenses on the camera with no luck. We have changed all of the batteries in the camera with no luck, and we have reset the camera to facorty settings multiple times. This does not appear to be a lighting issue, as it will happen in all types of lighting, and sometimes will even work fine in low light. This also does not seem to be an isolated issue in AF mode. We've had this issue in MF mode, etc. 

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4

John_
Authority

You could be having an issue with the shutter button and the flexible circuit board under it. Try pressing the shutter button down and moving your finger in a circular motion while the button is still depressed. If it shoots when you're doing that then it is most likely the circuit board under the shutter button that is causing your problem. Similar to the thread here for the S100 shutter button problem, I think that is the longest thread on this site. The fix is to replace the board or replace the camera. Repairs on older model cameras are, in many cases, more expensive than replacing the camera with a newer model or so close that it does not make sense. Hopefully, someone else might come in with a solution not involving a repair.

Ray-uk
Whiz

It could be dirty contacts in the shutter button, there are two sets of contacts, one for focus and one for shutter actuation. Some people have fixed this by dropping some isopropanol cleaning fluid in through the battery compartment. There is plent of info online as to how to do this so read them first. I have never had the need to try this so am not sure how effective it is.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!"

The XTi was a great camera. You need a new Rebel. The XTi is not a candidate for repair (some 10 to 12 yerars in age).  The upgrade to a T7i and the lack of any more frustration will be well worth it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Amazon is still selling these, used with a lens for around $150 or just the body for less than $100. Far less on auction sites. As said it looks like it is time for a new camera.

Announcements