cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the Battery Charger LC-E5 for EOS 500d be used in Asia? If not, what's an option?

earlrcooper
Apprentice

Am worried my Battery Charger LC-E5 for EOS 500d may not work with power sources in Asia. Can I safely plug

it into wall sockets in Thailand to charge a bsttery? If not, what's an option?  many thanks, ec

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I have never been to Asia but before we were sent on a trip outside the USA, we were told any electrical device must have this written on it:

INPUT: AC 100V-240V~1.0A 50/60 HZ

We were instructed, if it does it should work without problem if the proper plug adapter is used.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Skirball
Authority

Yes, it's fine.  It should say something like 100-240 VAC on the back.

You will need the adapters, so they fit in the plug, but the voltage difference won't affect anything, the charger rectifies it to a direct current anyway.

Whew, it is a relief to find out this news.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I have never been to Asia but before we were sent on a trip outside the USA, we were told any electrical device must have this written on it:

INPUT: AC 100V-240V~1.0A 50/60 HZ

We were instructed, if it does it should work without problem if the proper plug adapter is used.

EB

I don't understand the tendency on here to repeat exactly what someone already said without providing any new information.

I used my charger for the 450D in Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Hong Kong, and China.  Not to mention Europe, Africa, South America, Australia.  No problems.

Pretty much any modern day electronic (not any electric, electronic) will run fine on either system.  Electronics run on DC current, so AC line supplies need to be rectified, smoothed, and downscaled to usually around 3.3 - 12V.  The components that do this can easily be made to handle a wide range of AC input, which is quite convenient.   I would always check the electronic or the transformer (the brick between the cords on a laptop charger) to be sure, but in general the only things that are going to have issue are simple non-electronic devices like electric shavers and curling irons. 

"I don't understand the tendency on here to repeat exactly what someone already said without providing any new information"

You really need to put down the caffeine and lighten up, man!

EB

many thanks, I am now put at ease.

sure appreciate the info, can rest easy now.
Announcements