cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't attach lens

Carlossavila
Contributor

Hey there, I'm having trouble attaching the lens to my Eos Rebel T1, I can align the white squares but when I try to turn to atach it something seems to lock it from twisting, tried forcing a little bit and it does twist but not enough to attach. Some ideas or something I'm missing? Checked both the camera and the lens and there seems to be nothing wrong.

12 REPLIES 12

cicopo
Elite

Check for a loose screw in the mount area of the lens & on the body. If a screw backs off just a bit it can cause this.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Hello! No screw seems to be loose. I thightened them up a little bit just to be sure but the problem's still the same. It just seems like there is something locking it from turning.

@Carlossavila wrote:

Hello! No screw seems to be loose. I thightened them up a little bit just to be sure but the problem's still the same. It just seems like there is something locking it from turning.

Do you have another lens to try on the camera body?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hello, thank you for your reply. i don't have any other lens. 

@Carlossavila wrote:

Hey there, I'm having trouble attaching the lens to my Eos Rebel T1, I can align the white squares but when I try to turn to atach it something seems to lock it from twisting, tried forcing a little bit and it does twist but not enough to attach. Some ideas or something I'm missing? Checked both the camera and the lens and there seems to be nothing wrong.

Assuming that you're trying to turn it in the right direction (clockwise), the next move would be to verify that the lens is compatible with the camera. What is the brand and complete model designation of the lens?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Sorry for the late reply. It is compatible, I've used it many times before, the problem just happened. I dropped the lens but it was from like 30 cm in the table I was setting my camera on. No damage is visible. 

The model of the body is EOS Rebel T5i. The lens is a EFS 18-135mm

@Carlossavila wrote:

Sorry for the late reply. It is compatible, I've used it many times before, the problem just happened. I dropped the lens but it was from like 30 cm in the table I was setting my camera on. No damage is visible. 

The model of the body is EOS Rebel T5i. The lens is a EFS 18-135mm

If the problem has been there since you dropped the lens, there's a high probability that the fall is what caused it. Modern lenses are so heavy that they don't have to fall very far to be damaged. Remember that while the speed a dropped object reaches is not, in principle, proportional to its mass, its kinetic energy at impact is. It's the kinetic energy that has to be dissipated upon impact, and unfortunately deformation (which wouldn't necessarily be visible to the naked eye) is one way to dissipate energy. Unless you can show that other lenses have the same issue with that camera body, your lens nay have to visit the repair shop.

BTW, it's not clear from your cursory description of the incident whether the camera was involved in the fall. If it was, then you need to run enough tests to determine whether the problem affects the camera, the lens, or both.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

The camera wasn't dropped. What makes me doubt it was due to the fall is that the reason I dropped it was that it didn't locked in the first place, which makes me think the problem was there before dropping it. Also, when I try to rotate the lens to attach it feels like something is blocking it on purpose. Is there any option or button that prevents the lens to attach? Just want to be sure before taking it to the repair shop. Also, in case the reason it won't lock is in the lens mount area, by any chance you know if the fix will be very expensive?

Have you tried pressing the lens lock release button while attempting to rotate the lens when mounting it?

Announcements