cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can my Canon T5 fit a 64GB memory card?

Mariela86
Apprentice

Hi!

I have a Canon Rebel EOS T5. I want know if my camera can accept a 64GB memory card of  SanDisk Ultra 64 GB Class 10 SDXC UHS-1  until 48 MB/s. 

Please help me! 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Mariela86 wrote:

Thanks you so much, I will follow your advice. 

Thanks you!

My T5 doesn't like to format SDXC cards, which are 64GB or larger.  Stick to full size SD cards, 32GB max, Lexar or Sandisk.

That may be a filesystem format problem.  Canon's official specs claim the camera supports SD, SDHC, and SDXC cards.  SD cards are only up to 2GB.  SDHDC cards are up to 32GB.  SDXC cards are larger (technically up to 2TB but I don't think anyone makes a card with that storage density... yet).

HOWEVER... the real magic of the SDXC format is that it uses the "exFAT" filesystem type.  I've noticed you can format a device with an exFAT filesystem on one computer and not be able to use it on a different type of computer (e.g. Windows vs. Mac) and the culprit turned out to be the blocksize selected.  Apparently you can pick the blocksize when you format exFAT.  So my wild guess might be that the camera is rejected the exFAT card if it has a blocksize that it doesn't like.

You might try to reformat the SDXC card but make sure you check the "low level" box when you do the format to force it to re-block the filesystem.

I do not own a T5 so I'm not able to test this myself.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

John_SD
Whiz

@Mariela86 wrote:

Hi!

I have a Canon Rebel EOS T5. I want know if my camera can accept a 64GB memory card of  SanDisk Ultra 64 GB Class 10 SDXC UHS-1  until 48 MB/s. 

Please help me! 

I use a SanDIsk 64 GB SDXC in my T6 and it has performed flawlessly. No issues formatting it in-camera either. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Any restrictions on card type, size, or speed should be clearly stated in the camera's instruction manual. Have you looked there?

It's always a good idea to read your camera's instruction manual. You can never tell what interesting and useful information you may accidentally discover there.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks you!

@Mariela86 wrote:

Thanks you!

My T5 doesn't like to format SDXC cards, which are 64GB or larger.  Stick to full size SD cards, 32GB max, Lexar or Sandisk.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Mariela86 wrote:

Thanks you!

That may be a filesystem format problem.  Canon's official specs claim the camera supports SD, SDHC, and SDXC cards.  SD cards are only up to 2GB.  SDHDC cards are up to 32GB.  SDXC cards are larger (technically up to 2TB but I don't think anyone makes a card with that storage density... yet).

HOWEVER... the real magic of the SDXC format is that it uses the "exFAT" filesystem type.  I've noticed you can format a device with an exFAT filesystem on one computer and not be able to use it on a different type of computer (e.g. Windows vs. Mac) and the culprit turned out to be the blocksize selected.  Apparently you can pick the blocksize when you format exFAT.  So my wild guess might be that the camera is rejected the exFAT card if it has a blocksize that it doesn't like.

You might try to reformat the SDXC card but make sure you check the "low level" box when you do the format to force it to re-block the filesystem.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Mariela86 wrote:

Thanks you!

I have done exactly that, format the card using a computer, and then "low level" format in the camera.  I think you are correct about a file system format problem.  I can use 64GB cards in my T5, but I have since downsized to 32GB, and can still store thousands of RAW files.

While the T5/T6 can shoot video, and having the extra space of a SDXC card is great for video, the camera body itself does not as well a job at shooting video as it's big brothers can.  

You can take fantastic stills with it, though.  Just give it a quality lens, and prepare yourself to be shocked.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

John_SD
Whiz

@Mariela86 wrote:

Hi!

Please help me! 

I use a SanDIsk 64 GB SDXC in my T6 and it has performed flawlessly. No issues formatting it in-camera either. 

I know this is an old post.  I am shooting more video and currently use a 32GB SD card.  I want to move up to a 64GB but keep getting a Card Cannot Read error message.

At first I thought it was the card, so I switched to a PNY 64GB but had same issue.  Finally I switched to a SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB but card is not being read.

If you have a Canon EOS Rebel T5 and use a 64GB or higher I would be intereste in knowing which brand do you use??

I have a feeling it's a camera issue?  I have updated the firmware on the camera.  Checked to make sure the cards were readable on my laptop......even did a format......so for now I am stumped.  Any troubleshooting tips would be appreciated.

Using a huge SD card in the 64GB size and relying on it to store huge amounts of photos, well, you are just asking for disappointment.  Several smaller SD cards is a more reasonable and safer idea.  Just saying, don't put all your eggs in one basket and run back to the kitchen.

On the possible out dated thoughts about not using a computer (Windows machine) to format your SD card seems to not have any detrimental effect.  At least I have not seen any,  However, I do still say using a Mac to format your SD card is a big no-no. Don't do it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements