cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a tamron 18-270 lense fit the rebel T5?

Tutigirl
Apprentice
I recently received the T5 as a gift and I really loved how the tamron lense 18-270 was easy to use. I tried switching them out but it is to small for my T5. Do they make some sort of converter or something that I can use to attach the lense to my new T5? I new to all this. My mom has a nikon with the tamron lense so I was use to using that. Or is there a comparable canon lense to the tamron 18-270? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
13 REPLIES 13

"The more specialized a lens, typically, the better the image quality."

A person that is interested in a lens of this type is not too concerned with IQ.  IMHO, as always, ofcourse.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I don't look at it quite like that nor do I think it's a bad plan. I've owned a few 1 lens solutions & had one in the film era too. A very large number of people are happy with cell phone or Ipad photos but eventually they realize some of us produce better results with real cameras designed just to take photos. Once you start getting serious about your photos you realize there are lenses that offer more in 1 area but sacrifice versatility. Many won't ever hit that wall, & as a serious photographer I know my daughter is in that group. I gave her my 20D & Sigma 18-200 (non OS) years ago & she has captured hundreds of great images with that combo & has no interest in doing better. You don't need very expensive gear these days because the mass market only wants to view their photos on a monitor & rarely prints very large, as in bigger than 8 X 10.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

"... nor do I think it's a bad plan."

Neither do I, to each his own.  Use whatever gets the job done for you.  Your daughter and this OP is likely going to be very happy with such a lens.  But IQ is not their first concern!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I am with you guys unless the OP already has that range covered with kit lenses, like if she has the combo kit of 18-55 and 55-250 lenses. Or even the 18-135 kit, maybe. At that point I'd personally suggest she either save her money and buy nothing, or buy a speed lite or a reflector or else buy a $100 50mm f/1.8 or maybe a 50mm f/1.4 so she can get a look she can't already get with lenses she already has.

Also if she was going to say she primarily shoots indoors in dim light and she has no lens that does well in dim light I was going to suggest she get a bright prime for that reason, since the all in one is not well-suited for that.

In any event the time to take a minute and consider what she really wants and needs is now, before she spends her money.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Announcements