cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a tamron 18-270 lense fit the rebel T5?

Tutigirl
Apprentice
I recently received the T5 as a gift and I really loved how the tamron lense 18-270 was easy to use. I tried switching them out but it is to small for my T5. Do they make some sort of converter or something that I can use to attach the lense to my new T5? I new to all this. My mom has a nikon with the tamron lense so I was use to using that. Or is there a comparable canon lense to the tamron 18-270? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
13 REPLIES 13

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You are asking about the Tamron AF18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di-II VC PZD AF Lens for Canon?  It is a 15x high power zoom lens designed exclusively for digital SLR cameras using the more compact (APS-C) digital size image sensors like your Rebel T5.

The focal length of this lens is equivalent to 28-419mm in Full Frame format. Designed as an "all-in-one" lens, it meets almost all photographic opportunities.

You are not trying to put your Mom's brand-N lens on your Rebel?  Smiley Surprised  That won't work.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

cicopo
Elite

You need to buy that lens with a Canon mount and YES that will fit & work on your camera. Canon makes an 18-200 & I think Sigma has an 18-250.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thanks for the info, I will look for a canon adapter so this particular lense would work for me.

I'd not suggest bothering with the adaptor. The lens sells for $399 new and about $300 used, max. The adaptor will cost $80 to $150 and will NOT allow you to use the electronics in the lens properly.

I would sell the lens and get some glass for a Canon camera.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

What model do you recommend that would be somewhat the same as the 18-270. Or like a all in one lense for my T5. I'm new to Canon and all I know is I liked the ease of this particular lense.

There is a tamron 18-270 lens you just need to buy it with a canon mount and it will fit and work fine

Tamron currently sells a version 2 of the 18-270 and it's supposed to have a better & faster AF setup than vewrsion 1, which I did own & thought was a pretty good all in one for it's price. HOWEVER from what I've read the Sigma 18-250 may be an even better choice so do a bit of homework before buying. I recommend starting here.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1315477

and here

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=599376

And if you can give up a bit on the long end here for the Canon 18-200

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=578814

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thanks so much for the info, I will def be researching this tonight!

ScottyP
Authority
While you are still researching and deciding what fits your needs,
1.). What lenses do you already have for your camera?
2.) what kind of shooting so you do?
3.). Is much of it indoors?

There is always a compromise in photography, in just about everything. The compromise for a zoom that "does everything" from wide angle all the way to nearly super-telephoto is going to be some loss of image quality and a lack of a wide aperture. The more specialized a lens, typically, the better the image quality. Depending on what lenses you already have, you may want this one, or certainly the next one, to be less "does everything" and more "does one or two things really well".
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Announcements