cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a T6i be used with capture software?

theandies
Enthusiast

Is there a way to use my T6i connected to my computer and output into another program other than the Canon software.  I'd like to use my camera doing astrophotography with Sharpcap.  I just tested and couldn't get it to work and thought I'd ask the good experts here is it's possible.   I have not explored the internet for a solution execpt for asking this question here.

Thanks

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Yes - for example Backyard EOS works with it.  I've never used SharpCap so I'm not sure how it tries to control the camera.  Backyard EOS can do planetary captures but is more often associated with long exposure (deep sky object) astrophotography.

Canon makes a software development kit (SDK) which 3rd party software developers can use to control the camera.  The parties who develop the software that control the camera aren't actually writing the code from scratch -- they're using Canon's library of functions.  Loads of 3rd party software can control the cameras.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Lightroom might do it.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Yes - for example Backyard EOS works with it.  I've never used SharpCap so I'm not sure how it tries to control the camera.  Backyard EOS can do planetary captures but is more often associated with long exposure (deep sky object) astrophotography.

Canon makes a software development kit (SDK) which 3rd party software developers can use to control the camera.  The parties who develop the software that control the camera aren't actually writing the code from scratch -- they're using Canon's library of functions.  Loads of 3rd party software can control the cameras.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

theandies
Enthusiast

Thanks, I'll give them a try.

Announcements