cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I upgrade the firmware on my T1i to support SDXC cards?

frogbonedoc
Apprentice

I want to shoot some video on my T1i and would like to use an SDXC card.  My camera won't recognize or format that kind of card.  Is there a firmware upgrade/ workaround?

5 REPLIES 5

Skirball
Authority

@frogbonedoc wrote:

I want to shoot some video on my T1i and would like to use an SDXC card.  My camera won't recognize or format that kind of card.  Is there a firmware upgrade/ workaround?

Not that I know of.  With few exceptions (and most of those only for the high end bodies) Canon doesn't make a habit of releasing firmware updates to add features, only to fix broken ones.  And even then, it's few and far between.  Especially so with the Rebel line, since they release a new one every year.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

No, the T1i supports SDHC (card sizes up to 32GB).  SDXC is for card sizes beyond 32GB.

See:  https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/capacity/

But 32GB is a pretty big card.  Most of my cards are 16GB and I avoid (intentionally) bigger cards (though I do own a few larger cards, they're almost never in my camera.)  I find it "safer" to own numerous smaller capacity cards.  Cards will eventually fail (this is called "Memory Wear" - see:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory#Memory_wear ) so think of these things like the tires on a car.  You may not notice them wearing... but they DO wear and will eventually blow out if not replaced before that happens.   You always want a backup card (or two... or three).  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Bummer! I just spend $80 on a 128 GB card. I was excited to have a new big fast card. It never occurred to me that it wouldn't work in my camera. I guess I hang on to the new card till I own something it will work in.

@itsgettingold wrote:
Bummer! I just spend $80 on a 128 GB card. I was excited to have a new big fast card. It never occurred to me that it wouldn't work in my camera. I guess I hang on to the new card till I own something it will work in.

It could be as simple as the camera not having the smarts to perform a low level format on that much memory.  Try formatting in Windows based computer, FAT32 file system, and then trying it out in the camera. The camera may still need to do its' own format cycle, though, if it doesn't initially work. 

The camera is looking for specific folder names, and would need to create them.  If the camera allows you, perform a regular format, not a low level format.

Look at a low level format as raw road construction, and road paving.  A regular format merely comes along behind the low level format and paints the stripes on the road.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I want to shoot some video on my T1i ..."

The videos you can shoot with a Rebel are not that long, each.  So having several SD cards and changing them shouldn't be a big deal.  Plus a whole lot safer against loss or corruption of a SD card.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements