cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I go back to the original photo after altering the position directly to SD card in computer?

angelasmith
Apprentice

I was viewing the photos on my computer before I was going to add some filtering in the camera to get a better idea of which ones I would add soft focus on.  Instinctively changed the vertical photos so I could see better.  Now I can't view those on the SD card in the camera.  ALso, it appears I can't add the soft focus now because I altered the photo.  I new I couldn't crop or change the color and view in camera anymore but didn;t think before changing the position.  Is there anything I can do so I can add the soft focus or get back to the original photo?

10 REPLIES 10

Danny

Hi, angelasmith!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know which camera model you're using. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help 24/7 via Email at http://bit.ly/EmailCanon or almost daily by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).

Thanks and have a great day!

Canon, EOS Rebel T3i,  I shot a wedding yesterday.  I wanted to add soft focus to several shots before cropping, etc.  While viewing the pics on my computer (using SD card) to make sure of which were best for the effect, I absentmindedly changed the position of the vertical shots to view better.  Now, when I put the card in the camera to add the effects I can't view the vertical photos.  Is there anything I can do?

@angelasmith wrote:

Canon, EOS Rebel T3i,  I shot a wedding yesterday.  I wanted to add soft focus to several shots before cropping, etc.  While viewing the pics on my computer (using SD card) to make sure of which were best for the effect, I absentmindedly changed the position of the vertical shots to view better.  Now, when I put the card in the camera to add the effects I can't view the vertical photos.  Is there anything I can do?

Start by getting the card out of the camera and into a card reader. Then without changing anything on the card, copy the image files to a computer and look at them with a good photo editor. (Digital Photo Professional, which should have come with your camera, will do fine.) Then tell us what you see.

If you know, did you shoot the pictures in RAW mode or in JPEG?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

JPEG

In my experience, anytime you do something to the photo to change it, the camera will then be unable to read the file.  The camera can only read the original JPEG file. 

Mike Sowsun

@MikeSowsun wrote:

In my experience, anytime you do something to the photo to change it, the camera will then be unable to read the file.  The camera can only read the original JPEG file. 

Good point, and the fact that the camera can't read the file doesn't necessarily mean that the changes can't be reversed.

Bob

From what you've told us so far, the fate of the pictures probably depends on what editor you used to make the changes. Some (like DPP) always save changes non-destructively by default. In that case you can probably reverse them out. But I don't think all editors work that way. Tell us what editor you used, and with any luck someone in the group will have used it and can assess your options.

Bob

Get the jpg's off the SD card and saved on your computer before you do anything to them.  As an old, very old, wedding photographer I always have two seperate back-ups before I touch anything.

Do it right now, first off,

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

angelasmith
Apprentice

Thanks everyone!  I just used Windows Live Photo Gallery as that is on my computer because I was just going to look at them.  I did not realize I got an editor with my camera.  I need to check into that.  I got it as a gift.  I have now made two back ups of what is on the card now and will follow-up on other advise after work this evening. 

I used to do weddings 15 -20 years ago.  This was my first with digital photography.  It was outdoors so I felt more confident.  I did miss on about 5 shots but overall things went really well.  I love the low light capabilities.  I know I have a lot to learn.  I have been very fortunate in getting many great pics at family gatherings, for pregnant frieinds, children, etc.  So this extended family father talked me into helping him out.  I made sure the bride knew of my lack of experience with the camera before proceeding.

I will report back on progress.  You guys are great!!!  Thanks!

Announcements