cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera won't turn on - Canon EOS Rebel T6

lluks
Apprentice
I have a Canon EOS Rebel T6 and it stopped working. I was taking a picture and it just shut down. Im not sure why but now the screen wont wont turn on. Ive already tried taking out and reinserting the battery and the sd card, the battery, and even the camera lens. Can anyone help?
8 REPLIES 8

lluks
Apprentice
Also, I've checked and the battery is fully charged!

The battery door and the memory card doors may have sensors to make sure they are securely closed.  Also, make sure that the battery compartment is free of foreign objects, including a third party battery grip.  If all else fails, contact Canon Service.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Tim
Authority

Hello lluks,

There are a few troubleshooting steps I'd like to help resolve this issue. We'll reset the camera, which should restore it to a default state. These steps should clear out the memory and thereby any errors which may be present.

- Anything attached or installed in the camera — memory cards, the lens, the battery, battery grips should all be removed.

- Once the lens is off let's check it using the steps below.

a) Clean the lens contacts* to restore connection with the body.

*Warning - Do not clean lens contacts on either a Canon lens or the camera body with an eraser! It's easy to rub off the gold plating on these contacts and end up with data communication problems! Our strong recommendation is to use a soft, clean, micro fiber cloth. Please do not use anything abrasive.

b) Try using a different Canon EF series lens. It doesn't have to be the same focal length as the one you were using.

c) If you are using a third party lens, we recommend discontinuing its use. There can sometimes be communication error related issues with third-party lenses. Ensuring that you're using a Canon lens eliminates that as a potential factor in the error.

If the issues seem to persist the next step would be to send the equipment to Canon for service.

You may fill out an online repair request form at the following link to setup your repair using our online service.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/service-repair

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

svintegra
Apprentice

I had the same issue. I called canon and they walked me through troubleshooting the door switch. Unfortunately, that was not my issue. My issue turned out to be dead batteries.

When I would place the batteries on the charger, it would indicate that the battery was fully charged so I thought they were. I grabbed a voltmeter to measure the voltage at the terminals and the voltmeter was reading 0 Volts. After more reasearch, I found out that the batteries can be "locked". My charging unit stated that if my battery was locked, that I needed to use the "boost" button. After pushing that button, I think, it unlocked my battery. Now, when I place the battery on the charger, it says that it is charging. 

How did you test the battery? I see 4 terminals. I can't find a schematic but I am getting 8 volts on the outside terminals. I expected 2 terminals for + and 2 terminals for -.

@simclardy wrote:

How did you test the battery? I see 4 terminals. I can't find a schematic but I am getting 8 volts on the outside terminals. I expected 2 terminals for + and 2 terminals for -.

Will it turn on if you remove the memory card?  If not, the camera needs to be repaired or replaced.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

simclardy
Apprentice
I am interested in the battery and how it works.
thanks

RedhatMike
Apprentice
This has happened to me twice (EOS Rebel T7) and I took the advice of removing the memory card which brought the camera to life but when I reinstalled the SD card, dead. So I reformatted the SD card from my laptop and Bang!: Everything good. Like I said, this seems to be a common problem with my Rebel.
Announcements