cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera won't shoot or focus despite sufficient light

mmnorman
Apprentice

I've had my EOS Rebel T6 for a couple of years now and it's worked without any issues so far. But a couple of weeks ago I changed some settings so that I could shoot in low lighting, and when I was done, I did a reset on those settings to set them back to the way they were. But when I just tried to take some pictures outside, in decently bright lighting that has been sufficient for photos I've taken before, the shutter just clicks and the camera won't take the picture. I tried turning off auto focus but then the subject wouldn't focus at all. Then when I turned auto focus back on, now it won't focus at all. Is there any way I can get it back to normal?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I think we might've figured it out... After resetting all settings it still wasn't working, so we fiddled around with the lens itself and we think it wasn't able to focus because the auto focus ring was stuck due to having gathered dust for a couple of weeks. It's focusing just fine now! Thank you for your help.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Switch to P mode on the top mode dial. Reset the camera back to factory defaults in the menus.  

But, I think you also need to go into Custom Functions, which have a separate reset option, and reset those, too.  It sounds like you experimented with BBF.  When you set the camera for BBF, Back Button Focus, then the [AF-ON] button on the rear panel is used to start and stop focusing.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I think we might've figured it out... After resetting all settings it still wasn't working, so we fiddled around with the lens itself and we think it wasn't able to focus because the auto focus ring was stuck due to having gathered dust for a couple of weeks. It's focusing just fine now! Thank you for your help.

Announcements