cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera won't focus

Parselmouth
Apprentice

I bought my first DSLR camera just a couple of weeks ago, it's a Canon EOS 1200D. Yesterday I was fiddling around with some of the settings to see what they did, and now the camera won't focus at all. 

The lens is the standard 18 - 55mm lens that came with it, and it won't focus at at either on manual or auto focus mode. It's a bright sunny day with no low light issues, so that's not the problem. It just won't focus at all. I have tried resetting it but that hasn't helped.

Any suggestions as to what I might have done, what might have gone wrong, what I could do to fix it would be very welcome. Bear in mind that I know very little about DSLRs at this stage. Many thanks. 

16 REPLIES 16

Waddizzle wrote:

kvbarkley wrote:

Where is there a manual focus setting in the camera?

"The lens is the standard 18 - 55mm lens that came with it, and it won't focus at at either on manual or auto focus mode."

I am fairly certain that the OP fully understands the significance of the AF/MF lens switch

Probably. But he wouldn't be the only OP who didn't. I remember one that didn't know the difference between manual focus and manual exposure.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@kvbarkley wrote:

Where is there a manual focus setting in the camera?

"The lens is the standard 18 - 55mm lens that came with it, and it won't focus at at either on manual or auto focus mode."

I am fairly certain that the OP fully understands the significance of the AF/MF lens switch

Probably. But he wouldn't be the only OP who didn't. I remember one that didn't know the difference between manual focus and manual exposure.

He knows enough about lenses to recognize that the 18-55mm is the standard kit lens.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Evidence0702
Apprentice
Brilliant thanks alot, this was useful.

Rabicka
Apprentice

I just did this same thing and I was freaking out because I have a shoot to do tomorrow so I hope my info helps.  I need everything broken down to me so I hope you don't mind the step by step instructions. 

Go to the menu button on the top left side 

Go to the Function setting tab and click on it

Go to the 4th tab and click on Custom Functions (C.Fn)

Tab over with your AF button to get to # 12

#12C.FnIV: Operation/Others Shutter/AE lock button

Choose the first option 0

0:AF/AE lock

Once you click on it it will unlock your autofocus.

Good luck

Reba 😃 

chaoticgabby
Apprentice
Sadly these didnt help. Neither my AF nor MF is working. By not working, I mean when I use the screen, I can see that the lens wont focus at all. I have gotten it to a point where it will take pictures at a very specific lighting and angle. But im shooting in good lighting & everything. I also checked my AF settings & AE settings and everything in C.Fn is set to 0. I dont know why it wont focus. The lens is clean. I never had this problem with my T6i and I just bought this brand new T4i. Not sure how to fix this problem at all.

You say you're MF isn't working. That is something you do by twisting a ring on the lens & if it doesn't have any effect then my guess is a damaged lens component inside the lens. You should see changes to the focus as you twist the ring from 1 end of it's travel to the other. At some point in between the end stops if should focus on your target.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Which lens?

Announcements