cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera won't focus in AF or MF

lucygibert03
Apprentice

I just ordered my Canon EOS Rebel t6 this past week and I have not even gone outside with it but I was playing with it too figure out how it works. I added an extra lense (Commander 0.43x Auxiliary Wideangle Lens) to the lense that comes with the pack (Canon 18-55mm II Lens) and after taking it off, the camera will not focus in any setting I put it in. I have not tried to clean it and I even reset all settings to manufacturer. Nothing works! Please help!

10 REPLIES 10

Hey guys!

The Rebel T6 doesn't come with the STM lens, but the 18-55mm IS II. If it's not focusing, try this little trick I learned over the years:

Turn the camera off.

Put the lens in MANUAL FOCUS (MF) on the switch on the side of the lens (not the camera). Rotate the FOCUS RING (on the front of the lens (not the zoom ring) from one side all the way to the other. You might hear some clicking or crunching, don't freak out! Keep turning, but don't force the lens! 

Once you've done that, turn the camera on, and put the lens in AUTO FOCUS (AF), and put the camera in Green Box, AUTO, or A+ mode. Go into a well lit place, like outside if weather permits. Take a photo of something normal, like a dog, a friend, your car. Not the cloudless sky. 

Does it focus? Does it *try* to focus? Does the lens move at all? Is it just making a bunch of noise back and forth and then beeping? 

If it works, awesome! If not, give our US-based team a call at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666) from 8am to Midnight (ET) for additional troubleshooting, or to setup a repair if necessary. 

Announcements