cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera will focus but won't take a photo.

ChristianRid
Apprentice
Hello,
So I have the Canon EOS 200D, and have for quite a while now. It has been working fantastically well up until now, it focuses and does the focus beep, but won't take a photo, that is not all that it does, when you switch it on it takes a photo on its own, and saves it to the memory card but still won't take a photo. I have hanged lenses, searched the settings but nothing.
5 REPLIES 5

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

If you have any accessories attached to the camera, can you please remove them.  Also remove the lens ... so that nothing is in the camera except the battery and a memory card.  

Does the camera still snap a photo when you power it on?

Re-attach the lens, set the lens to manual focus mode (the AF/MF switch on the lens barrel should be set to MF), turn the main mode dial to auto (the green A with the box) and try to take a shot (it should make no attempt to focus, but it should take a shot -- albeit an out-of-focus shot but we're just trying to determine if you have a lens problem vs. a body problem.)

Let me know what the results are.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

First as Tim suggests if you have any accessories like a battery grip remove them. All of them. However as a second step you need to do a reset of the Rebel.  In the menu under Tools you will find a clear all settings.  Do that.

You did not mention if you were using a Canon lens or not.  If it is not a true Canon brand lens remvoe it also and put the real Canon lens on.

Now go outside on a nice day with the Rebel set to the green square mode. Lens set to AF and try a shot.  If it works all is good. If it does not work call Canon support 1 (800) 652-2666 as your SL2 is broken.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

One other thing about removing all non-Canon stuff, even if it is the battery.  Use the real Canon battery not an off brand. This is important.

EB

ChristianRid
Apprentice
Hello, thanks for the suggestions. I tried everything you recommended (everyone's suggestions), I was already using a Canon lens and Canon Battery, I even changed Canon lens to test if it would take a photo or not, but it didn't. Strange thing is that if you turn it into the screen view mode (so you can see what you are taking on the screen) and use the touch to capture mode it will take a photo. Maybe there is a body problem with the full press of the shutter button?

Sounds like a call to support is in order. 1 (800) 652-2666

EB
Announcements