cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera upgrade advice, please!

Cheila
Contributor

Hi Smiley Happy This is my first post here.

I have a Canon EOS 600D (Rebel T3i) and I recently got a Canon EF Lens 50mm and I love it! The problem is the camera takes a very long time to focus, even though I have a fast SD card. Should I upgrade my camera to a more recent one? I'm just an amateaur so I don't want to spend a lot. Which camera do you think I should get and why? Thanks a lot in advance!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The T3i came out before our STM lens technology and before the advances we made in both Dual Pixel Auto Focus. That means that it has to hunt to focus and compare the contrast in the scene using the DIGIC IV processor (we're up to DIGIC 8). That means it can take a few seconds, using Live View (the LCD).

For best results, when taking photos, you want to use the viewfinder - it will use its separate focusing system (rather than the DIGIC processor) and will focus nearly instantly, given proper lighting.

When taking video, it will still use the phase contrast method of focusing and will hunt. We recommend using manual focus, or pre-focusing your subjects, otherwise you will lose focus and hear the lens during recording. 

As a note, all of our newer Rebels that end in "i" like the T6i and T7i support our STM lenses, and the Rebel T7i has our groundbreaking Dual Pixel Autofocus technology that allows for near instant (and silent with an STM lens) focus, whether you're taking photos with the viewfinder, or shooting videos. You can even touch the LCD screen to manually focus on a specific item. 

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

How long is it taking to focus?  Are you using the camera indoors? Tell us how we can reproduce your issue.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Both indoors and outdoors. I think it's just the way it is. I mean slow compared to my phone. 

@Cheilawrote:

Both indoors and outdoors. I think it's just the way it is. I mean slow compared to my phone. 

It should focus fairly quickly with that lens. But, some circumstances can make focusing slow or impossible. Being too close can make focus impossible.  The camera needs to see contrast where it focuses. For example, the camera will difficulty focusing on a blank wall.

[EDIT] Your new lens could be defective. Return it, or exchange it for a new one.

@Cheilawrote:

Did you use the camera with other lenses before you got the 50 mm? What's the chronology here? Did you buy your equipment new or used?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Live View focusing using the LCD screen on the back of the camera can be slow. 

When you use the optical viewfinder, is it also slow?

Mike Sowsun

Cheila
Contributor
https://youtu.be/sRLq_FqTGVU I recorded this. The first 2 shots are with the lens that came with the camera. The second 2 shots are with the new lens. Both are slow, but I think with the new lens it's a little slower. I haven't tried using the viewfinder! Maybe I should try that!
The camera was new back when I got it, as well as the lens.
So you think getting a new camera will not make a big difference?

Yes, you should try using the viewfinder. The LCD screen uses a separate focusing system than the viewfinder.

The T3i came out before our STM lens technology and before the advances we made in both Dual Pixel Auto Focus. That means that it has to hunt to focus and compare the contrast in the scene using the DIGIC IV processor (we're up to DIGIC 8). That means it can take a few seconds, using Live View (the LCD).

For best results, when taking photos, you want to use the viewfinder - it will use its separate focusing system (rather than the DIGIC processor) and will focus nearly instantly, given proper lighting.

When taking video, it will still use the phase contrast method of focusing and will hunt. We recommend using manual focus, or pre-focusing your subjects, otherwise you will lose focus and hear the lens during recording. 

As a note, all of our newer Rebels that end in "i" like the T6i and T7i support our STM lenses, and the Rebel T7i has our groundbreaking Dual Pixel Autofocus technology that allows for near instant (and silent with an STM lens) focus, whether you're taking photos with the viewfinder, or shooting videos. You can even touch the LCD screen to manually focus on a specific item. 

@Stephenwrote:

Huh?? Do earlier and "non i" Rebels not support the STM lenses? What happens if you try to use one?

For years we've been telling all who inquired that Any EF or EF-S lens can be used on any of Canon's APS-C cameras. Have we been wrong to preach that sermon?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements