cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera taking "black photos" in manual when there is no flash

melisssa_jane
Apprentice

I am in a well lit room and for some reason I cant get my camera to take pictures without the flash. When I do take them they show up as black. How do I adjust the Exposure comp./ AEB setting? 

3 REPLIES 3

cicopo
Elite

By learning how to use your camera PROPERLY. In MANUAL mode it's up to you to set it correctly using the built in light meter which displays info that you can see through the viewfinder. Your Manual will cover how it all works.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ScottyP
Authority

Manual presumes you will manage the entire 3-variable exposure calculation and the light metering yourself.

If you are unable to balance shutter speed, lens aperture size and ISO Setting, you cannot use M mode (Manual).  

If you have learned the "exposure triangle" from books or from free Google videos you will have the needed basic principle. 

Full Manual is not used a lot even by enthusiasts because the modern camera will let you choose to control either the aperture value (AV mode) or the shutter speed (Time Value or TV mode) and the camera will set the other values for you for a correct exposure.  I only use Manual when using flash myself. If you are not a seasoned veteran of film photography, nor a serious digital student, you probably don't need to be using Manual much. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:

Manual presumes you will manage the entire 3-variable exposure calculation and the light metering yourself.

Just to be clear, the camera does do the metering for you, even in manual mode. It just doesn't go ahead and alter its settings to match the metering data. You actually have to turn the wheels yourself.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements