cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera setting question

UPinFocus
Contributor
I've been asked to take pictures for a "red carpet event". The event will have an area with a backdrop set up for pictures. I just got my camera yesterday....rebel T6. What would a good setting/mode to use? Also I am brand new to the DSLR cameras. Thanks!
14 REPLIES 14

@BurnUnit wrote:

For that matter, I suppose it could be an outdoor, daytime event. If the OP goes thru with this job I hope he updates us with some pics of the results.

Daytime events aren't necessarily easier. If the sun is in the wrong direction, you'll likely need fill flash, which can be a problem if you can't get get in close. And there's no such thing as bounce flash outdoors (although I once saw a photographer, who felt entitled enough to keep barging into my FoV, try to use it at a 4th of July parade).  Smiley Frustrated

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Robert said, "Daytime events aren't necessarily easier."

I would take outdoor every time over indoor.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

UPinFocus
Contributor
I got it from best buy. 2 lenses and a bag and battery.

OK that is good.  Next step is to go to the venue and try a shot or two.  Try different settings.  P mode is a good starting place.

Good photographers do not like surprises!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@UPinFocus wrote:
I got it from best buy. 2 lenses and a bag and battery.

Go back to Best Buy and purchase an SD memory card.  I recommend Sandisk Extreme 32 GB UHS-1 cards.  Ony buy the full size cards.  The micro-SD cards with the plastic adapter to make them fit in a full size slot are unreliable, and are not recommended for use by Canon.

As far as Camera exposure settings go.  The Green [A] mode, Automatic, is the easiest to use.  The camera will behave like a classic “point and shoot” compact camera.  The mode for learning the camera is P mode, and shoot as RAW + JPEG.  Use [CA] mode when you want automatic exposure behavior, but with the flash disabled.

Other than that, the best advice is to get out there and practice taking photos.  Practice getting photos out of the camera.  Practice using the Canon Digital Professional Software to enhance your photos, especially the RAW files.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements