cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera setting for best pics of the sky

khopev
Contributor

Hello! What is the best setting on the Canon EOS Rebel T6 for taking pictures of the sky? I love taking pics of sunrise, sunset, clouds, and I want to take the best picture I can. Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Those are all very different situations and there is no one setting that will work for all of them.

The best advice is to bracket.

To add to kvbarkely's excellent advice, also shoot in RAW instead of JPG because you can better correct for exposure issues in post production.  Try to keep the camera at its native ISO of 100 when possible because this provides the greatest sensor dynamic range and this dynamic range is often an issue in the shooting situations you have described.

Of course also be careful to avoid damage to your eyes and to the camera when taking these sorts of images.  I would avoid live view to provide additional protection to the sensor so that it isn't constantly exposed to the sun or inadvertently exposed to a very sharp focused beam of light which will damage sensor receptor sites.  The lens is a very effective focuser of light so be careful for the sake of your eyes and your camera.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"What is the best setting on the Canon EOS Rebel T6 for taking pictures of the sky?"

The "best" solution isn't a certain camera setting.  What is it?  It is Photoshop.  Three, or more, exposure shots merged together in PS or Lightroom makes the best sunsets and sunrises. There is just way too much DR in most sunsets for a DSLR to capture.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

111.jpg

Before the storm but after the game!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements