cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera says it’s busy

Juice
Contributor

I have a dsl D1200 camera and I take photos and then it will say busy, it’s so annoying as it will let me take some then says busy then I can take some again, HELP please x

14 REPLIES 14

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Do the easy stuff first.  New SD card.  Reset camera ot defaults.  Fully charge the battery.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Tried all those but still doing it 

Can you upgrade an existing camera?

Last night I was using the Canon Camera Connect app to do remote shooting and it was perfect.  I tried it today with a different Canon brand battery and it was horrible, I kept on getting the "Busy" signal.  I got back to my room and switched back to the initial battery, and I had no problems.  My advice is to try a different battery, my other batter must be faulty or defective.

Cheers!

@Dubstep_Dublin wrote:

Last night I was using the Canon Camera Connect app to do remote shooting and it was perfect.  I tried it today with a different Canon brand battery and it was horrible, I kept on getting the "Busy" signal.  I got back to my room and switched back to the initial battery, and I had no problems.  My advice is to try a different battery, my other batter must be faulty or defective.

Cheers!

That is an interesting developoment.  Sounds like your battery isn't providing correct power.

Genuine Canon batteries do cost more ... but I've learned the cheap 3rd party batteries are not necessarily a better deal just because they're cheaper. 

I tried (I think) three different brands of 3rd party batteries and what they had in common was that they had a fairly fast self-discharge rate (a freshly charged battery put in the bag might be 60% after just a month).  They also seemed to not accept a very good charge after they were only maybe a year old.  I found I had to replace them more often.  Meanwhile my original Canon batteries were still going strong and a stored Canon battery had a very slow self-discharge rate (after a month or two it was still mostly full -- technically all batteries self-discharge at least a little).

If a battery costs half as much but has to replaced more than twice as often, am I really saving money?  I now just stick with genuine Canon batteries.

In your case, it sounds like the battery is costing you missed shots.  It's not clear to me if the suspect battery is a genuine Canon battery vs. a 3rd party battery.  

It's easy to make a battery that works.  (anode + cathode + electrolyte = battery)  What's more difficult is to make a quality battery that continues to perform well for years.  The genuine Canon batteries cost more.  From my own personal experience, there is a noticeable quality difference.

As a side note ... from time to time someone will post about a misbehaving camera and the fault will turn out to be some 3rd party accessory attached ... such as a lens, or a flash, or a battery grip, etc.   There are loads of quality 3rd party products so I don't want to spread the notion that if Canon doesn't make it then it must be bad -- clearly not the case.  BUT to help diagnose a problem, it's often helpful to remove everything from the camera that wasn't in the Canon box when you purchased it new.  If it behaves well with nothing else attached, you can start adding things back in until you find the component responsible for the problem.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell wrote:

@Dubstep_Dublin wrote:

Cheers!

That is an interesting developoment.  Sounds like your battery isn't providing correct power.

Genuine Canon batteries do cost more ... but I've learned the cheap 3rd party batteries are not necessarily a better deal just because they're cheaper. 

I tried (I think) three different brands of 3rd party batteries and what they had in common was that they had a fairly fast self-discharge rate (a freshly charged battery put in the bag might be 60% after just a month).  They also seemed to not accept a very good charge after they were only maybe a year old.  I found I had to replace them more often.  Meanwhile my original Canon batteries were still going strong and a stored Canon battery had a very slow self-discharge rate (after a month or two it was still mostly full -- technically all batteries self-discharge at least a little).

If a battery costs half as much but has to replaced more than twice as often, am I really saving money?  I now just stick with genuine Canon batteries.

In your case, it sounds like the battery is costing you missed shots.  It's not clear to me if the suspect battery is a genuine Canon battery vs. a 3rd party battery.  

It's easy to make a battery that works.  (anode + cathode + electrolyte = battery)  What's more difficult is to make a quality battery that continues to perform well for years.  The genuine Canon batteries cost more.  From my own personal experience, there is a noticeable quality difference.

As a side note ... from time to time someone will post about a misbehaving camera and the fault will turn out to be some 3rd party accessory attached ... such as a lens, or a flash, or a battery grip, etc.   There are loads of quality 3rd party products so I don't want to spread the notion that if Canon doesn't make it then it must be bad -- clearly not the case.  BUT to help diagnose a problem, it's often helpful to remove everything from the camera that wasn't in the Canon box when you purchased it new.  If it behaves well with nothing else attached, you can start adding things back in until you find the component responsible for the problem.

The worst part is it either came from Canon with my camera,  serparately  and direct from Amazon, or B & H photo's physical store.  I think I'm going to send it in to Canon to have it inspected. 

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Are you shooting rapidly ... perhaps using continuous burst mode to blast through several frames quickly??

The camera has an internal memory buffer.  When you take a shot, the captured image is first transferred to the internal memory buffer (this is not permanent storage) and this allows the camera to take the next image.  In the meantime, it saves the image from the internal memory to the memory card (but this is a slower process and depends on the speed of the card.)

If you take several shots in rapid succession, the buffer can fill up.  When that happens you wont be able to take another shot until the camera has time to save at least one photo to the memory card (and that clears enough space so it can take one more photo).   

There is a red light that indicates the camera is actively using the memory card (e.g. saving data).

There are other reasons you can see the "busy" message... e.g. camera attempting to achieve focus is one reasons; when I connect my camera to do remote "tethered" shooting (using the computer to control the camera) that also usually displays the "busy" message on the camera.

If it's not the memory card, then we'd probably need more info about how you are using the camera (mode, settings, etc.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

This can happen when I’ve just picked the camera up.

Can you update the camera

@Juicewrote:

This can happen when I’ve just picked the camera up.

Can you update the camera

Sounds like a SD card issue to me.  Take the card out and turn it on.  Disable all of the noise reduction settings: i.e. long exposure noise reduction, high ISO noise reduction, etc.

Stick to full size SD cards, 32GB or smaller.  Always format a new card in the camera.  They do not come preformatted.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements