cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel XS saying busy and won't take pictures

mliz2486
Contributor

My camera worked fine the other day.  Now, it won't take pictures at all.  When I go to take a picture, it will act like it is focusing by flashing and such but it will never go through.  It always says busy.  I have tried all modes, and none will work not even without flash. 

I have also taken the battery out, taken the card out and reformatted it, and cleared all camera settings.  Can anyone help?  I have a newborn that I would really like to be able to capture. 🙂

Thank you ahead of time!

156 REPLIES 156

Isn't it possible this is a lighting problem?  I am having the same problem, and trying to learn.  I, too, switche to manual focus.  I also switched to Auto ISO.  Sometimes I can take a picture and sometimes I cannot.  It does that focus/busy thing but won't take the picture.  (Canon T3i)

This is a great set of videos that will help you understand the Canon autofocus system.  It's in 3 parts.

These are presented by Canon's Rudy Winston.

Part 1:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAx86nblZ2g

Part 2:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_F7lCvp5DI

Part 3:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WTWiN9kLts

If the lighting is particularly low or the subject lacks contrast (e.g. plain surfaces) or both then the camera will have a more difficult time locking focus.  It can more easily lock focus if it is using the center point or allowed to use all points then if it's just using one of the points around the periphery of the frame (on a T3i and earlier cameras -- because only the center point is a "cross type" point on a T3i and the periphery are all single-axis points.  This is not true of the T4i, T5i, 60D, 70D, or higher end bodies.)

If you want to "test" the auto-focus system to make sure it's working correctly, give it a high-constrast target (e.g. a sheet of newsprint works well) in _excellent_ lighting.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

The youtube video are private so I can't see them.

I just baught a Rebel EOS SL1. I am having the same issue with the" busy" as everyone else. I thought I would watch vidios you posted.They were marked privete. I amjust going to return mine and buy a differante brand. 

Try going into a different lighting setting and see if your camera shoots in Auto Mode. I also downloaded the REBEL EOS manual from the Cannon site to check where I would go in the menus with the other contributor suggestions and performed them.

Thanks I have all ready returned it. I baught a Nikon D7200. I want buy another Canon. Not a new one anyway.I will buy an older one 1980s-1995.

It sure seems that model is a giant LEMON as I do believe the majority of posters are trying to use one. I have had Canon Rebels since the original XT and have had absolutely no challenges that weren't user error.

@deborahbuege wrote:

Thanks I have all ready returned it. I baught a Nikon D7200. I want buy another Canon. Not a new one anyway.I will buy an older one 1980s-1995.

Can you tell me what the issue was? I am having the same problem.

It was my lens. I swapped it out & put a different lens on & it works perfectly again.

FYI

Mine was my lens as well.  I tried someone elses lenses on my camera body and it functioned well again so now i know my kit lens 18-55 was the problem.

Announcements