cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel XS saying busy and won't take pictures

mliz2486
Contributor

My camera worked fine the other day.  Now, it won't take pictures at all.  When I go to take a picture, it will act like it is focusing by flashing and such but it will never go through.  It always says busy.  I have tried all modes, and none will work not even without flash. 

I have also taken the battery out, taken the card out and reformatted it, and cleared all camera settings.  Can anyone help?  I have a newborn that I would really like to be able to capture. 🙂

Thank you ahead of time!

156 REPLIES 156

My camera was working fine before i did purchase a new counterfeit battery.

After i got my self a new battery' thats when i started to get these camera busy messages.

So i had to use my old original battery insted and it took me like a day powering on and off trying to get it to work and afterwards i was able to use it without any issues.

So since i didn't know back then that it must have to do with the battery, i repeated the same mistake of reusing this counterfeit battery. And again, i started getting these "Camera busy annoying messages. 

And when that happens,  i cant do anything,  i cant use the camera for like any hour or so.

I wouldn't disagree with the idea that memory card have a role in this too. So i suggest you go for both original and high quality of both batteries and memory cards.

Yes, I ordered new batteries and they were fully charged so it's not a battery issue.

scirdan
Apprentice

I had this exact same issue today with my EOS Rebel T7, it flashed "busy", but wouldn't take any pictures. In addition, the lcd screen wouldnt light up at all even when it was supposed to..  It was very strange. Anyway, I tried removing the SD card, and it started to light up the LCD display to indicate no card was present, and agian when i re-inserted it went back to the bad state. At that point I took the SD card to my PC and emptied it, and it said it was write protected, so I could only copy, not delete photos.  I then toggled the write-protect on the card, re-inserted it into the camera and it started working fine!  not sure if the slidier was slightly out of position or if it was just some glitch, but is started working fine and is taking pictures again..

Way to go. Great problem solving. Thanks for sharing your step-by-step.

Alana_photo879
Apprentice
I have the same exact problem when I go out and try to take pictures, it just flashes and says busy and won't take the picture. I have a Canon Rebel T6
Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am working to make this a career.

There are plenty of suggestions in this thread. In the meantime switch to your backup body.

Wagtail99
Apprentice

Very recently I had an identical problem with my Canon 2000D and the camera wouldn't even all me to access the main menu.  After a bit of trial and error, I figured out the problem was with the SD card.  My solution was to move all the photos from the card to a hard drive - the card was now empty. The camera then switched on fully and I was able to go the main menu where I went to 'Format card' and reformatted the SD card, the camera now seems to be working fine, but I am going to buy a second SD card for backup in case of future problems.

Announcements