cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel XS saying busy and won't take pictures

mliz2486
Contributor

My camera worked fine the other day.  Now, it won't take pictures at all.  When I go to take a picture, it will act like it is focusing by flashing and such but it will never go through.  It always says busy.  I have tried all modes, and none will work not even without flash. 

I have also taken the battery out, taken the card out and reformatted it, and cleared all camera settings.  Can anyone help?  I have a newborn that I would really like to be able to capture. 🙂

Thank you ahead of time!

156 REPLIES 156

IRVING
Apprentice

Hello, I bought a canon 60d from a friend about 4 years ago and all of the suddent it wont take pictures, and it also wont show any kind of image on the screen. when I turn it on it doesnt make the noise of the shutter. It focus and the flash realeses but it through the viewfinder it says is busy and the shutter wont release. I will really appriciate an answer and thanks for reading my question

The top of the list is to make certain your card is true high speed and formatted IN the camera. If you have been using the same card for 4 years, it could also just be ready to be retired (the card not the camera).

jpeak
Apprentice

I am having the same issues...busy and nothing will work. Just bought a wideange lens and am pretty annoyed at all the posts about the same issue. Not a cheap camera or extra lenses. After reading all the posts about the exact same issues, I'm wondering about buying a Nikon instead of paying 300 to fix it until it does the exact same thing. Anyone get this fixed and end up having the same issues again?  I hooked it up to my computer and nothing, changes lenses and nothing.  Pretty annoyed at this time.

It is so frustrating to have this problem. I would feel the same way if it were my camera, especially if I had just bought a new lens for it.

Just some thoughts:

1. Have you tried it with the older lenses when it was working fine?

2. Have you tried taking out the card and just having your computer read from directly from the card so you can "see" the quality of the images AND save what you have already shot?

3. Do you have another cable to use to see if it could be the cable from camera to computer? Cleaned the contact on the side of the camera?

4. I get some of the symptoms your camera is displaying when the batteries are low in the camera and I try to connect it to download the pics to my computer. I shoot a lot of images and often forget to keep an eye on the battery level.

5. Have you tried all the other suggestions about formating in camera and using a true high speed card, resetting camera to factory settings, doing firmware updates, etc?

To be honest, I upgraded to a T4i to get extra features and fuctions. I would recommend this rather than investing $300 in, evidently according to others, a questionable repair on the older T2? camera.

I am very happy with my Canon cameras, flashes, power drives, and lenses. I shoot thousands of images a year with no problems (that aren't my oversight, that is).

yvespacala
Apprentice

My CANON EOS 1200D Camera also wont take photos. the screen is black, it wont display anything. its also says busy.

I have used it only for a month and now it doesnt work anymore. 

Battery is fine because it works on other cameras.

please help thanks

Jhp
Apprentice

My camera had this same problem.

I found that if the lens filter ring is gently rotated clockwise, camera body held normally, the focus motors will be 'unjammed' and the camera will function normally.

This worked for me!

I rescued my Canon PowerShot using your technique but never thought of using it on a jammed DSLR. Thanks for suggestion.

dakdrx30
Apprentice

I am having a few issues.

1.  Cameral says, "busy" on Auto Setting and won't take pictures.  Thought maybe it had to do with the lighting?  Works fine on AV Setting.

2.  My images are saving on the camera upside down.  The look correct as soon as I take them, but the save & download upside down.

3.  Can someone tell me in AV mode what setitng I should have for taking pictures of people?  The dial goes from 4 to 22.

Thank you!

Hello Dakdrx30!

Welcome to the Canon Forums and thanks for your post!

To have a better understanding of your issue, please let everyone know what camera you are using. That way, the community will be able to assist you with suggestions appropriate for your product.

Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team can assist you by phone or email at http://Canon.us/SupportCF  

Thanks!

Lkay
Apprentice
I am having the same problem...It's a 3 year old camera very gently used. Very disappointing!
Announcements