cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel XS saying busy and won't take pictures

mliz2486
Contributor

My camera worked fine the other day.  Now, it won't take pictures at all.  When I go to take a picture, it will act like it is focusing by flashing and such but it will never go through.  It always says busy.  I have tried all modes, and none will work not even without flash. 

I have also taken the battery out, taken the card out and reformatted it, and cleared all camera settings.  Can anyone help?  I have a newborn that I would really like to be able to capture. 🙂

Thank you ahead of time!

156 REPLIES 156

Thanks, I just tried all of those suggestions and it still won't take a picture.

I had the same problem. The lens is made in two parts. The back which functions as the Zoom and the front which functions as the auto focus. I found that the focus was not working in AF mode and the camera would not take pictures. I gave that portion of the lens a gentle turn and I felt it give. The camera resumed taking pictures. I hope this helps. It was a rebel T3

My Rebel XS also will shoot in MF mode but not in AF.  I rotated/pulled out the front "auto focus" section of the lens, and then the camera would auto focus for 1 shot.  I have to pull/rotate the front portion of the lens all the way back out again for the camera to take a shot.  It will pull the lens back in to properly autofocus, but it doesn't seem to like to push it out.  Is this just lens failure with no way around it but a new lens, or is there a way to clean it out inside or something? I did wipe that front AF portion of the lens very clean when it was fully extended, but to no avail.

cdeleon
Apprentice

Hello I just purchased my Cannon EOS Rebel T3i camera around October of last year.  I have recently been experiencing the same problem so many consumers are experiencing with the busy signal and won't let you take pictures.  This past weekend I was taking photos of my daughter and while in the middle of it would no longer take pictures at all.  I had plenty of lighting as it was outdoors.  

If so many consumers are experiencing the same problem shouldn't there be a recall on this camera or the lens?  As I said before it has only been about a year I've had this camera and yes I do love it and would love for it to continue working properly as I did purchase this to be able to use it.  

SEIN
Apprentice
I had this problem and solved it.
What I did was: turned and loosed the lens protection piece which was locked somehow or by someone.
You may have the same problem. Check it.

Thanks for this!  You saved me!

@SEIN wrote:
I had this problem and solved it.
What I did was: turned and loosed the lens protection piece which was locked somehow or by someone.
You may have the same problem. Check it.

This worked for me too, I must have twisted it when changing my lense, Thank you!

This is great news and a great solution!

The scrore is now You = 1; Canon lens = 0  🙂

NashvilleSuz
Enthusiast

You really need to have the correct card. Class 10 works great.

After you have been taking a lot of photos, after you have loaded the pics into your computer, take the time to reformat the card in your camera every now and then.

This worked perfectly for me.

masmith40
Apprentice

I have a T3I taking pictures yesterday and all of a suddun it will not take pictures any more. Tired changing lens's and still will not work. Says Busy. Shows in ISO 9 on the screen and come times comes up saying it is Busy. Also Says I can not use that in that mode? Nothing as worked yet on fixing this issue and the camera is pretty new. 

Announcements