cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera rubberized "glove"

Radman17
Contributor

Hi again all,

My first foray into DSLR is a Rebel T6/1300D kit. I ordered some accessories for it, including a rubberized cover or "glove" for the camera body. I haven't installed it yet. Does anyone have any experience with these? Pros and cons of using it? I just wanted to give the camera body some extra protection but don't know if there might be some cons to using it.

Any advice appreciated! Thanks....

5 REPLIES 5

@Radman17 wrote:

Hi again all,

My first foray into DSLR is a Rebel T6/1300D kit. I ordered some accessories for it, including a rubberized cover or "glove" for the camera body. I haven't installed it yet. Does anyone have any experience with these? Pros and cons of using it? I just wanted to give the camera body some extra protection but don't know if there might be some cons to using it.

One might be its insulation effect. You might not want to use it while shooting video, where an important object is to disperse as much heat as possible.

But more broadly, that device, which I suspect will tend to get in the way, definitely strikes me as a solution in search of a problem. I'd be more than a little surprised if any of the pros or serious amateurs in this forum were to weigh in and say that they would use it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Radman17 wrote:

Hi again all,

I do not advise using it.  The risks far outweigh any potential benefits.  The camera body is not weather sealed and a “body glove” will not make it so.  There are too many potential entry points for moisture on a camera body for a “body glove” to make a difference. 

As for risks, if the body and glove are not sanitized and sterilized, you will have a perfect environment for the growth of mold and mildew.  I learned this lesson back in college when I bought a glove for the steering wheel of my car.  When it began to wear out, I removed it to replace it with a new one.  YUCK!.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Radman17,

I use an Easy-Cover.  I have been very happy with its performance.  Best rubberrized skin available IMO.  Laser cut and form fitting.  Had one on my T6s too.  I'm a basic black type. They are easy to slip on and stays put.  All controls fully accessible.

Its not an excuse not be be careful, or to take your camera into the pouring rain.  It doesn't make your body weatherproof, but does afford great protection againts bumps and scrapes.  Its not made my camera run any hotter.  Same as putting a case on your phone.  No problems with mold or mildew.  Works great, no issues.  100% recommended. 

easycover-camera-cases[1].jpg

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I wouldn't use it. JMHO as I doubt it hurts anything. If you like it, go for it and let us know how it works.  I don't even like the camo covers.  I don't use them either.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The camera bodies are fairly durable... if it occasionally bumps into something you wont have to worry about damage (unless you hit it really hard... in which case even the "glove" probably isn't goint to save it.)

The "glove" isn't going to offer water-resistance ... and if water-resistance is needed (e.g. shooting an event where it might rain while you're out with the camera) you can get inexpensive "rain sleeves" (think ... plastic bag that fits over the camera with an opening for the lens... a rubber band keeps it snug around the lens opening.)  The cheap versions are meant to be disposable ... there are expensive versions that are more durable.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements