cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera problem with extension tubes

Nsanti
Apprentice

I am having a problem with my canon sl2 and andeer extension tubes with autofocus support. Whenever I change lenses with the extension tube still attached to the camera, the camera will not power on after the lens change unless I take out the battery, and put it back in.

18 REPLIES 18

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority
It sounds like your extension tubes are having intermittent, or poor connections, with the electrical contacts between the lens and camera.  It is a fairly common problem with cheaper 3rd party extension tubes, especially if you mount 2 or 3 tubes together. 

Here are a couple of reviews from Amazon:  

"The primary issue is stability. The tubes to not fit together tightly as a lens and camera do. There is a tiny bit of slack. With just one tube it’s not a big deal. When using all 3 together it’s very noticeable. If the weight of the tubes and lens is not fully supported there will actually be a slight arch in the tube set. It is enough to loose connection between the lens and camera causing the camera to shut off. It can also cause the image to be soft since the bend will cause the image to hit the sensor at a slight angel instead of straight on."

All three of the adapters wouldn't keep any electrical connection. Therefore, there is no autofocus. Its not metal construction either, its made of plastic. The return I wanted to do would cost me more than the 5 dollars I was offered from this seller. I had no choice but to accept the 60% discount and keep the faulty product. In the end I was left to pay 40% of the price for a worthless product that I threw in the garbage! Andoer has some really good products... but this one is junk. Stay away."
Mike Sowsun

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Nsanti wrote:

I am having a problem with my canon sl2 and andeer extension tubes with autofocus support. Whenever I change lenses with the extension tube still attached to the camera, the camera will not power on after the lens change unless I take out the battery, and put it back in.

Review the instructions for the extension tubes.  I think you should attach them to the lens, and then attach the combination to the camera.  You should not mount the tube on the camera, and then mount the lens to the tube.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Oh, yeah.  The camera should be turned off when you mount and dismount any lens, especially when using an adapter.

"The camera should be turned off when you mount and dismount any lens,..."

You know I used to think this was true but I don't anymore.  The last pin to make contact is the power pin.  The first one to break contact is the power pin.  Once the lens is turned a tiny amount, power to the lens has been removed.  Now there may be some reason inside the camera that doesn't like being on when changing lenses but I can't imagine what or why?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

It is still good practice. often when a pin connects like that there is "contact bounce" so that the lens would recieve and lose power several times in a short period of time. That can cause spikes or just confuse the computer in the lens.

I just returned the tubes. It's not worth risking my camera, and I'm not even sure extension tubes were right for the type of lenses I own. I have always turned off the camera before changing lenses. These tubes acted funny even though the camera was off.

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"The camera should be turned off when you mount and dismount any lens,..."

You know I used to think this was true but I don't anymore.  The last pin to make contact is the power pin.  The first one to break contact is the power pin.  Once the lens is turned a tiny amount, power to the lens has been removed.  Now there may be some reason inside the camera that doesn't like being on when changing lenses but I can't imagine what or why?

Turning off the camera is what Canon recommends.

88414848-34DE-4124-A39C-9FA764F16D6C.jpeg

Note the bold text near the bottom of the page inside of the first blue box.  Does it seem to work with the camera on?  Sure, but that does not change the fact that the recommended procedure is to turn off the camera.  Doing so helps to protect the inside of the camera from accidents.

There is a constant supply of power to the lens when the camera is on, It's the surge produced when that power is abruptly interrupted that could feedback into those tiny, sensitive electronic components within the camera to be concerned about. It's sort of like playing Russian roulette. 

@John_ wrote:

There is a constant supply of power to the lens when the camera is on, It's the surge produced when that power is abruptly interrupted that could feedback into those tiny, sensitive electronic components within the camera to be concerned about. It's sort of like playing Russian roulette. 

Yes. It's just good practice to power down electronic equipment before connecting or disconnecting accessories. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements