cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera locks up, recording message

deborah1
Apprentice

I just bought a T6s and have a strange problem (I hope it's a simple answer!). I can take one picture and then it locks up and I cannot take another. The message on the LCD monitor is "Recording..." "Remaining images: 1" with the continuously circling ball. It's as if it can't record. We formatted the card. So I'm not sure what's wrong. When my husband first got the camera, he ussed it for a few days without any problem. This just started today.

30 REPLIES 30

This sounds like either a memory card problem, or a card adapter problem. 

If you're using a micro SD card, try using a full-sized card. We've found when there are less variables involved, there tend to be less issues.

Also, we've found that not all cards are created equal. Card manufacturers don't seem to follow any strict guidelines as it pertains to read/write speeds. Even though your card might be rated as a class 6 or 10, that only means it's capable of reaching that speed, not sustaining it. 

Our support team has a list of cards that have been tested to work with our cameras - I believe that SanDisk,Toshiba, and Samsung are on that list.

When buying memory cards, we always advise buying from reputable sources - either online or in person. Memory cards are very easy to counterfeit. 

I wonder if it might be helpful for the OP to upload a couple images here with the EXIF data intact. Maybe someone will spot something that looks funky in the EXIF information.

@BurnUnitwrote:

I wonder if it might be helpful for the OP to upload a couple images here with the EXIF data intact. Maybe someone will spot something that looks funky in the EXIF information.

This thread is two years old, and makes for a textbook example of why people should always start a new thread for their issues, instead of hitchhiking onto an old existing thread.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I am having the exact same problem. I formatted card, switched lenses and reset the camera following some youtube video instructions. about every 4 pictures it gives me this error.

Noelv
Apprentice
Having the same problem, was this ever resolved?

mckeek
Apprentice

I just received a Canon refurb 6D.  Seemed brand-new, always had great luck with Canon refurbs in the past.  Worked great for about 2 days, then this started.  Low-level formatted card, reset camera settings, everything.  Swapped SD cards (SanDisk Ultra 80MB/sec), same thing.  Super unhappy.  Gonna send this back.

Please reply back here about how your problem is resolved.

Spent a few minutes on the phone with Canon tech support (Kevin).  He was great.  He listened to my story, did not make me repeat all my prior efforts, had me do one more simple test, and pronounced my camera defective.  Since it was just purchased directly from Canon I had the choice of a warranty repair or refund.  I chose refund, was put through to a very friendly and helpful salesperson (Christina) who worked through an RMA and exchange.  Actually got me a new 6D MkII body for hardly any more money, since they had no more 6D refurbs in stock.  All in all I received excellent customer support, IMO.

In the space of an hour I went from a pissed-off customer to a happy one.

@mckeek wrote:

Spent a few minutes on the phone with Canon tech support (Kevin).  He was great.  He listened to my story, did not make me repeat all my prior efforts, had me do one more simple test, and pronounced my camera defective.  Since it was just purchased directly from Canon I had the choice of a warranty repair or refund.  I chose refund, was put through to a very friendly and helpful salesperson (Christina) who worked through an RMA and exchange.  Actually got me a new 6D MkII body for hardly any more money, since they had no more 6D refurbs in stock.  All in all I received excellent customer support, IMO.

In the space of an hour I went from a pissed-off customer to a happy one.

You will love the 6D2.  The 45 cross type AF points are very accurate, which also allow the camera to track moving subjects very well.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Brendahian
Contributor
I have been having the same issue. It started around a year and a half ago and it's gotten worse, now i can't even shoot a few shots without it getting stuck and sometimes from the first shot it just stops working and the photo number starts blinking. First time i reset the camera to factory settings it worked fine for a while but then the whole thing started again. I've used different SD cards it's still the same. My camera is fairly new and i had a friend take it apart to check the camera mirror box and what not and he even was surprised to see how new the camera was. Called canon support and even they didn't know what was wrong with the camera and it can't be from the SD cards. Told me to bring it in for a check up, haven't gotten around to do it yet.
Any update from anyone here? Have you found a fix?
I'e restored camera settings and formatted the SD cards multiple times, didn't work
Announcements