cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera for Beginner? I have been looking at the T6i, but have no clue as to what I should buy. Help?

guererja623
Contributor

I am a dummy when it comes to photography. I have 6 children that play sports, and have paid out 100's of dollars over the years for action pictures. My husband suggested I get my own camera and take some pictures. I would use the camera to take mostly pictures of my children playing sports. It's football season, and I have 2 high school varsity players, 2 peewee players, and a cheerleader. I sit up high in the stands around the 40-50 yard line(I feel I can see equally both ways here,) and I would be around 50 yards away(give or take a few) from the actual field. Kick off is 7:30 here in Texas, and it's very close to sundown. When it gets dark, the stadium lights are lit up like any other Friday night football game you can imagine. I want to know what camera is a good camera for beginners. I have been looking at the T6 and the T6i, but have no clue what the difference is. They both come with a bundle, EF 18-55mm and 75-300mm lenses. What is the difference between a DSLR and SLR? I just need it broken down in plain English so that I can make a good choice. Which would you choose and why?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The larger the  mm number, the more magnification of the image you will get.  The answers will vary greatly depending on who you ask but to keep it really simple (at the risk of being technically wrong)...think of the image magnification you'd get with a binocular in terms of x...I'd use 50mm as the base...representing 1X.  So 18mm divide by 50mm will give you 0.36X and 55mm would give you 1.1X and 300mm will give you 6X.  To complicate things, depending on the camera sensor size, the final image is further enlarged.  For example the T6/T6i (a cropped sensor camera)  will give you a further 1.6X magnification compared to a 5D Mark III camera (a full frame camera).  The numbers aren't important, rather the idea...a number larger than 1 gives you more magnification - bringing the subject closer to you.

For DSLR cameras (full frame), 50mm is normally considered 1X - for focal length less than 50mm, we call that wide-angle (lenses).  For FL more than 50mm, we call that tele-photo (lenses).

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

Post some examples. We need to know whether it is camera shake or action that is too fast.

@kvbarkley wrote:

Post some examples. We need to know whether it is camera shake or action that is too fast.

Yes, and what camera did you buy?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I'm trying to upload some of the photos but it keeps telling me every file it too large.

The files need to be under 5 MB.  In practice, there seems to be some sort of overhead and the largest photo that I've ever uploaded has been about 4.5 MB.  Do you have a tool to that can take a photo, and generate an output file of a smaller size?

You can also resize in-camera, try M or S1.

IMG_0250 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0185 - Copy.JPG

Here is a link to an album I created with all the horrible photos!

https://goo.gl/photos/1b7KgMHHLeBCjDdc6

@guererja623 wrote:

IMG_0250 - Copy.JPG

This photo was shot as 1/50, f/5.6, ISO-3200, 300mm.

The shutter speed is to slow to freeze the motion of the players.  It is also too slow to freeze camera blur, or motion that occurs as a result of the camera being in motion when the shutter was activated.  Camera blur always appears exaggerated at long focal lengths.

I suggest trying to shoot the players in bright daylight, perhaps at a football practice session.  I would expect the shutter speed to be much higher.  I would also suggest shooting in "P" mode for now, until you become more familiar with photography and the camera.

The most outstanding problem that I see with this shot, and the others, are too slow shutter speed, and novice camera technique.

IMG_0112 - Copy.JPG

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements